Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pain Management Sucks!

From the pictures I seem to be progressing at an amazing rate, but this constant aching is really wearing me out. I have been alternating Advil and Tylenol for 10 days now and I don't see an end in sight. I take 3 Advill (600mg) which last exactly 4 hours before I start hurting again, if I take less it does nothing. If I take Tylenol I have to take 1000mg to get 4 hours of relief. For someone who never takes anything but vitamins it is starting to take its toll. My stomach feels very yucky, but if I don't take anything then I'm in pain, especially at night! I took a couple Tylenol Pm the other night and slept pretty well for about 6 hours, then I had to get up to take some Advil for the pain, but went right back to sleep as I was still groggy from the Tylenol. I slept like 12hrs but felt like I had a hangover all day, from the medicine. Last night was terrilble, I don't think I got more then 4 hours of sleep, and was achey, even with meds and a heat pack for most of the night. Did all you other surgery survivors experience this?

I realize I'm only 10 days out and that this is probably normal to some degree, but at this moment I just feel tired of being in pain. Like I mentioned in earlier posts, its not excrutiating pain, but its constant, and while it is somewhat low grade, the non ending cycle of it can really start to take a toll. I'm pretty strong and have a high tolerance for pain but it's like you can never really escape it, it is always just right there on the fringes waiting to make its way back. I really hate taking pain medicine, and my poor stomach is really feel raw these days. I try and take it with food, but at night when I'm aching and exhausted I can't do that. Just wondering from some of you others when I might be able to expect the pain to let up a bit.

Sorry for the downer post, but it is how I'm feeling today and I figure others need to know what to expect.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Brandy, sorry you're going through this constant ache period. I didn't experience pain like you're having ... after both of my surgeries I stopped taking the pain medication after day three. Of course, I didn't have the Lefort procedure so maybe that's got something to do with it.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,

    As you may have read from my posts on archwired, I had a bit of a rough time with pain after my surgery, but I will tell you that for me the turning point was aroud 14 days. I actually started to cut down on the morphine on day 12. So with any luck you will be feeling better very soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home