Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Highlights of a liquid Diet Day

It's funny what we take for granted when it comes to eating. I mean one really doesn't grasp how creative one must become when they can't chew anything for 6 weeks (well 5 now!) It requires a lot of perserverance, and determination to find taste satisfying treats, as well as making sure that one gets enough protein/liquid into them to adequately heal, and not be hungry all the time.

What is so funny is how something so incredibly boring to the rest of the world, can be so incredibly pleasing to the palate when you are so limited in what you can eat. Today I had some smashed organic cottage cheese with pureed orangic baby pears. OMG I thought I had died and gone to heaven! It tasted so yummy! It was a bit tricky to be sure and smash it up enough to make sure the cottage cheese curds went down easily and I didn't choke to death, but definitely worth the effort. I also managed to get down about a 1/4 of a cup of poached halibut (smashed to death again with a fork) That was good too, but wore my poor tongue out trying to maneuever it around so I quit pretty quickly. I think tomorrow I will add it to some soup and eat it.

I drank a bottle of "Naked" fruit juice smoothie, which boasts a pound of fruit in each bottle. Probably won't do that again as it has left me feeling a bit on the gurgly side (if you know what I mean :) Lets see...in addition to that I had a jar of organic savory carrots, rice, and beef baby food (not so great) and a milk, banana, protein powder, apples and sweet pototoes shake. MMMMM....admit it your jealous!
Oh and I had a bowl of egg flower soup, and a cup of flan!

What to eat tomorrow? So many choices, so little time! I was so busy prior to surgery that I didn't have much time to really take in all the stuff I won't have for awhile. Don't do that! If your having surgery, indulge a little. You will spend less time dreaming about food after the surgery is over. Ask me how I know?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,
    Ahh the joys of a pureed diet (fork smashed..no chew..blended to death..). Here are some suggestions, things I tried, you might want to try for variety.

    In a blender turkey and gravy, chicken breast and sweet and sour sauce, rotissarie chicken and BBQ sauce, mac and cheese, rice with an oriental style sauce.
    Cheese cake - I ate a whole pie in a week :) make sure the graham cracker crust stays crumbly and is mashable.
    I mixed 1/2 a naked juice into smoothies as alone they are potent :) I would blend them with vanilla yogurt, a banana, or berries. Pineapple juice, oj, and mango juice also worked well in smoothies and gave me variety.
    Shredded wheat, cherrios or rice krispies in a blender with milk.
    Oatmeal, pudding, yogurts
    Blended green beans, cooked carrots and peas. Yes they look awful, but tasted so good with a little butter and salt. I blended my stuff not to smooth consistency but to a fine texture.
    hot cocoa with whip cream
    I tried blending a muffin with milk, it turned into batter - not a good choice.
    and of course lots and lots of soups. I still can't eat soup right now...blech...

    I am sure others can give you some other things to try too and give your blender a work out :)

    Amy

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Thanks Amy!
    I will try some of those. Rotisserie chicken and bbq sounds pretty good, and the cereal with milk to! Never thought to blend those, but I'm gonna try it now!

    Mmmm...hot chocolate, that sounds so good, think I'm going to make some right now!

    Thanks again!

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    I'm so glad I found this discussion. I probably have about 5 months before my orthodontics have 'readied' my teeth for upper jaw surgery. I am trying to be proactive and gahter ideas for what foods to blend. I live by myself and won't have anyone to fix things for me.

    So, I'm concerned about the first day or two. Did you feel up to blending things and fixing your food?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home