Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Day 4 Post Surgery Progression

Here I am in all my day 4 post surgical glory. My swelling is coming down bit by bit each day, however, today things in my mouth feel very puffy. My bottom lip is burny and feels like it has been inflated with a tire pump. Things are a bit more achey today, and if you look at the Day 4 pic you will see that the lovely green bruising has starting to show up on my lower jaw bones and is swiftly making its way down my chest area. Things today are very prickly. Sorta like little nerve pulses all over my face. Mini electric shocks. Sometimes you go to touch them and where you feel them is not where you actually are feeling them. It's very bizarre. Last night my jaw joints were very tight. I could not close my mouth as it just felt like they were being stretched and pulled. I still can't really close and look at my occulsion very well I'm assuming that is/was from all the swelling in there, it is much better today but still far from perfect. I must admit that I'm feeling rather worn out today. I have not been getting very good sleep. Never more then 1.5 hours at a time without waking, and I think it is starting to wear on me. I have been sleeping upright in our Ekornes recliner chair. Thank god for that chair is all I can say, it is so comfortable and has been a life saver. My nose is still rather stuffy, and even when I get to sleep I end up waking within about an hour, hour and half with a stuffy nose. Things do seem like they are starting to settle down, but I imagine I have a few more sleepless nights ahead of me before it gets better. This whole surgery realy takes a toll on your both mentally and physically, it has not been as bad as I expected though so that is a plus.

I see the OS Wednesday at 1:00 for my 1 week follow up. I hope that my stitches are on their way out by then.

Here is a picture of my upper stitches.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy!

    It looks like you're doing pretty good. You look better than I did at four days and I am younger and has less surgery than you. Way to go!

    Did your OS give you anything to help you sleep? Mine gave me Ativan, but I didn't use it. The morphine was more than enough to knock me out. It might be something to consider if your sleep doesn't improve soon.

    Have you tried putting Vicks vapo-rub in your chest before you go to bed?

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger 57rdi said…

    Brandy,

    You're coming along nicely. Your sleep issues sound like exactly what I was having about that time. If I had to guess, I'd say it has a lot to do with all the drugs still in your body. For me, that settled down after about five days. The "puffiness" you're feeling sounds familiar, too. My experience has been that that takes more time and decreases more gradually.

    Aren't recliners great! I practically lived in mine for most of the first week.

    Have you been able to get out for walks?

    -Vaughn

    P.S. I got my splint off on Friday. What a relief!

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    You're looking great! And good for you on getting out and about so early in your recovery process. I'm convinced that exercise and plenty of liquids are the key ingredients to a speedy recovery.

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    By the way, great photo slide show. Did you set that up using photobucket or was it an option within your Blog?

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Bill,
    It was an option with Photobucket. I like it cause I can edit it and add the new pics each day.

    Brandy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home