Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

What to Expect and Tips

So, just an FYI. I have no idea what exactly happened to me once I got into surgery. I mean I walked in the room, climbed on the operating table, the anesthesiologist gave me a bottle of Afrin and told me to put two big squirts in each nostril. I was so completely frightened by this time that I couldn't even talk. The doctor asked me how I was doing, and I know he could tell by the tears in my eyes that I was pretty freaked out. He came over and rubbed my arm, and told me not to worry that they would take good care of me. I used the Afrin and sprayed so much I started to gag. I then layed down on the table and they stuck my head into this piece of like giant foam (to secure me in position.) At that point I think the anesthesiologist said that she was going to give me some stuff to relax me a bit before we get started, it was freezing in the OR and I was shaking pretty violently from nerves. I don't remember anything after that. I don't remember waking up in recovery at all, only being brought back to my private room. I was trying to communicate with my mom, using american sign language. Now this is sorta funny as even though I have had 4 years of the language, my family knows very little, and my husband doesn't know any. My mom knows some of the basics(but she was sick this week also with diverticulitis) and was not reading what I was trying to say. I was trying to sign to my son and husband like they knew exactly what I was talking about. At which point my mom handed me the white board to write on. I vagely remember my husband telling me that things went really great and the surgery took 6 hours. I was surprised as it only felt like I had been asleep for 5 minutes, but I was also, so incredibly happy to be awake, and ok. That was what I was worried most about.
My throat was very sore, that is something for others having this surgery to be prepared for. The anesthesiologist said she used a lot of lubricant spray, and gel, but that there really is just know knowing how it is going to affect you. My throat felt raw like it does when you have strepped throat. It only lasted for about a day though. Your voice will probably be a bit hoarse from the breathing tube itself being down your throat. The effects of the anesthesia can take up to 4 days to get out of your system and you will feel groggy and not yourself, your memory will also not be what it usually is.

Prior to surgery I followed a very strict dietary supplement plan. My doctor said that recovery would be about half the time if I did this program and so far she appears to be correct. Everything about this surgery has been easier and my recovery is going much faster then others I have seen. I was in good physical health too which I'm sure added to things.

Now I can tell you at 3 days post op that prior to surgery you will want to make sure your lips are in good shape. This will help minimize the effects of all the stretching that will be done to them. My lips looked like they had been stretched over my head and back. They had dead peeling skin everywhere. In addition to this all around my mouth and under my nose area is very dry and flakey too. Not sure why, but your lips and skin will definitely take a beating so be prepared. If you are having genio done you may also awake with some numbness in your tongue. Supposedly this is only temporary and will return to normal within a week or two.

Obviously having a great OS is a big plus. Research your doctor and make sure they know what they are doing. A good surgeon can make this whole procedure a lot less aggravating.
I only 3.5 days post op and already I can tell that it will be worth all the discomfort.

Last but not least...Nutrition is everything. If you want to heal good and fast, then you have to eat. Your body needs lots of fluids, and protein. While it is difficult, and laborious to get food into oneself, it is also critical to good healing. If you do not allow yourself to become too dehydrated and eat enough your speed of recovery will be greatly improved.

Not much else to report at his moment, but I will continue with the daily updates until there is nothing more to really report.


  • At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there, I hope you're feeling better...I got my SARPE surgery on 5/24/07, and I'm going through the same things as you. I'm so swollen and I have to go back to work this Tuesday :(
    Take care.

  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    OMG you poor thing! I totally know what that is like, It took a good 7 days before I even began to feel sorta back to normal. Are you sure you can't take a few more days? By day 10 I could've gone back to work without much trouble. YOu will be amazed how much better you will feel by then.

  • At 6:17 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Great advice!

    I agree that proper nutrition is so important in healing. I was feeling great by 7 days post-op for that reason only. I took in a lot of nutrition, and I forced myself to do it even when I didn't want to. I had a schedule of sorts, and drank a full glass/cup of something every two hours all day long. It really helped with healing.

  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Shontell said…

    Thanks Brandy for those tips. Your always so helpful and thorough explaining things. I absolutely agree about the lips. Mine were bad after the SAPRE. Before my next surgery I'm def coming to your blog for those tips again just as I did for the SARPE.
    Glad your going good and feeling good.

  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    What was the diet regimine your doctor had you follow the week prior to surgery?


Post a Comment

<< Home