Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Day 3

Ok, so last night was the worst night so far. Not that It was all that much different from the others, however, I was a bit more achey last night so I decided to take some of the Roxicet my doctor gave me. Honestly it was a total waste of time, it did not make things stop aching and today I feel like I have a drug hangover. I have been taking advil and it seems to work better for the slight headache I have and the jaw achiness as well. I pretty much woke up every hour on the hour last night. So today I'm very tired. Swelling appears to be about the same, and so far (knock on wood) bruising appears to be very minimal.

Last night I got up and drank two big glasses of water, and finished off a blueberry smoothie my mom had made me earlier. This is my recipe for my morning milkshake.

1/2 cup milk
2 scoops vanilla ice Cream
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 a banana
1 heaping Tablespoon Carnation instant breakfast drink (chocolate)
2 multivitamin capsules
1 B12 capsule

It tastes pretty good and I don't taste the vitamins in it so that is a plus. Today I'm feeling a bit weak. I have been taking in a lot of fluids but I still feel pretty puny. I know my body is working hard to repair everything, so I'm trying to give it as much as I can to stay strong. It's hard to stay on top of though.

As far as pain goes I haven't been having too much. A little achey here and there. Mostly I can say it is my tongue that is driving me nuts. The whole left side is very numb, and feels like it is giant in my mouth. I can't really tell if that is improving, but I have to be so careful as not to bite it, as it just feels enormous. It is also sorta burny feeling so I'm hoping that means it is healing, but it is such a pins and needles feeling it is really aggravating. Other then being run down, it has not been too terrible. Not fun, but not horrible.

Here is a pic taken right after I got out of the bath this morning. Warm baths really seem to help me feel better. The steam opens up my sinuses and seems to help with the puffiness. I can't smile right now as things are just too swollen to really move, but I thought I would post the pic anyway. The other pic is my puffy profile.

Even though I'm not sleeping particularly well, my husband says that I'm quiet as a mouse now. No more snoring or gasping for air, in fact he said he can barely hear me breathing at all now. So I'm pretty confident that once the swelling dies down and my sinuses get back into their groove that my apnea will definitely be gone. Wooo hoo
Posted by Picasa


  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    You look so cute! Really! Very young. Your nose is adorable, and your swelling seems to be pretty light. I think you're going to really like your results. Sorry about your tongue, but don't curse the thing that might save you; the pins and needles is a good thing, and I think if you didn't have it you'd worry. It's a really reassuring sign. Go with it!

  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    Is the tongue disturbance more related to MMA surgery than other oral surgeries? I know it's all pretty close to the same thing but I don't remember anyone else mentioning their tongue being bothersome.

    Are you drinking right from a cup, or are you using a straw or something. Can you tell when to stop tipping the cup back before spilling? I did that constantly after SARPE.

  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Graham,
    I think it has something to do with the genio. My doctor says that it changes the pull on the tongue muscles, and that in order to get in there and do what they need to do they have to strip all the muscles off of the bone. He was not surprised that my tongue was numb. I is starting to feel a bit better. Still feels big but it is not burning so much and feels like it is getting more feeling back. I'm also getting pins and needles in my chin now, as well as my lower lip. That would be so cool to come out of this with very minimal numbness, that would really make me happy. Not sure why I have this though, as MMA is the same as upper lower and genio. Dr. told me he moved my maxilla 3mm, my mandible 4mm, and my chin 5mm. Which in and of themselves are not huge advancements.

    I use the zip and squeeze for meals just cause its easier,and faster, but I can totally drink out of a cup now without spilling. I'm drinking lots of water, and emergen C throughout the day that way.

  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    I'm sitting here trying to remember if my tongue was numb or swollen. I seem to remember it was a little bit, but it didn't last long and I forgot about it. All I really remember from the first week was a lot of spitting, aching, not sleeping, and feeling hungry.

    You look so good already, Brandy. It's amazing. Day 4 and 5 are usually the worst days and you're almost past them. Yay!

  • At 2:23 PM, Anonymous ohmyjaw said…

    Hi Brandy,
    Don't worry about the numbness at this point - it could take weeks or months for it to go away. I still have a bit and I am 2 months post-op. I didn't even have pins and needles until two weeks post-op, so you are way ahead of me.

    Sounds like you are doing great other than your tongue - wish I could suggest something!


Post a Comment

<< Home