Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Day 1 Post op

Ok.here is the scoop on the pictures. The one that says 11.5 hours post op was posted by me. I went off of the time my surgery was complete (which was at 1:30 pm) the other pics and updates were posted by my husband who went off the time the surgery started at 7:30am. My surgery was 6 hours long, with no complications. Doctor said I only lost 3/4 of a pint of blood which is really good and that should speed up my recovery a lot. These pictures where taken this morning just out of recovery
Posted by Picasa

My tongue is really swollen and numb right now. Feels like when you go to the dentist and he give you a novacaine shot. My throat is also sore from the breathing tube. Swelling has increased some and my lips look like I got collagen injections. The Afrin is starting to wear off and my nose is getting pretty stuffed up. Other than that I'm holding my own. I did not take any pain meds at all ony the initial dose of morphine that they gave me in recovery. I had some baby tylenol early this morning for my sore throat but thats it. Doctor aid that he never touched any of my nerves and he expects me to get full feeling back everywhere (which I almost have right now)
When he came to see me this morning he said that I looked amazing. Now I'm not so sure about that, and thing are certainly not really enjoyable right now. But Im doing fine with it all nonetheless. He took out my drainage tubes which felt a bit freaky, and said I could check out of the hopital Whenever I wanted...so I did.

So I'm offically back home right now. Eating is hard but i managed to get a smoothie in a zip and squeeze down, so leat my tummy is feeling a bit better. I was so nauseas from the morphine,and of course all the blood that you end up swalling. They had to kep pumping me full of anti nausea medicine so I wouldn't throw up. I'm very weak and run down and must nap frequently. I suppose that is all part of the healing process.

11 Comments:

  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    I don't even see any bruises! You're superhuman! :)

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Team Wolder said…

    Sounds like you are doing great!!!
    Bet you couldn't get out of the hospital fast enough :) Don't feel guilty about napping. Even though you have come through your surgery like a champ, your body has a lot of healing to do.
    Afrin is amazing, but don't forget about using Ocean (saline) nasal spray as well. You can use it as often as needed. I loved it!!!

    I am so proud of you Brandy. It seemed you were a bit fearful of surgery and here you are on the other side :)

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    WOW Brandy, you look great! Really not as much swelling as I would have though, and at least the bruising isn't there yet. I am quite impressed that you only took the Morphine once. I hope that I can get away with that! Still sending prayers and well wishes your way for a speedy recovery!

    ~ Tara

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    You look REALLY good, Brandy. Wow. I looked like a truck hit me the day after my surgery, but you look just great.

    I knew you would do well. Now it's time to rest, relax, drink, and get better. :)

    Rebecca

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Hey, Brandy! You look like you're doing great! I'm on day four and this is the first day I haven't just about napped the whole time. Never really deep asleep, but constantly resting. I've been up and about a bit more today. Took a couple of walks. Rest is important and don't forget to try and stay hydrated. So glad you're on this side now!
    Martha

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,
    Congrats on making it through surgery and doing so well! The first few days just kind of blur together. Drinking a lot helps with the swelling and the sore throat. My other joy was frappachinos - icy cold.

    I hope this is the worst of your swelling - amazing how little it appears you have, but I'm sure it feels like a lot. Your profile is fantastic in the picture below.

    Don't feel guilty about getting lots of rest and pampered by your hubby and son :)

    You made it girl. I'm so happy for you. - Amy

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You look marvelous!!! I'm so impressed at how well you've done. Mike

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger JenNicole said…

    Wow you are healing so amazingly!! I can't believe how little of pain or numbness your having. That just goes to prove that everyone heals differently. I know you must be so releaved that your journey is almost over...congrats! You look great, I'm so glad your recovery as been so smooth.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    You look so beautiful already, Brandy! Your posts are a crack-up--you're so brave and strong to get on the computer and type so early, but I'm detecting a bit of real fatigue in there, which is completely to be expected. But I must say that you are an inspiration to those who have yet to go through surgery, because you're working through this like such a champ! I'm not seeing much swelling at all. Your surgeon must be feeling pretty proud of himself for doing such great work! Glad you have no pain, but lots of feeling nonetheless. Your husband must be thinking, "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. That woman is TOUGH."

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Shontelly said…

    It sure is Brandy (part of the healing process)and your going to be just fine. So good to see your up and blogging. :)
    Shontell

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You do look incredible, and no brusing? You're off to a great start Brandy. Thanks for keepin us so updated!
    - Beneath the stars

     

Post a Comment

<< Home