Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Final Countdown! YIKES!

Ok...its officially almost here! I completed my pre-op lab work this morning. It was pretty painless.... consisted of giving blood for platelet counts etc, and a urine sample to check my blood sugar and see if I happen to be pregnant (which I'm not.) Next the nurse talked to me about all the stuff I need to do for surgery day. No makeup, lotions, fingernail polish, perfume, or jewelery. All piercings must be removed prior to surgery, and I'm not to eat or drink anything after midnight tomorrow night. I'm currently scheduled for only one day in the hospital, however that is just a tenative plan and could change she said. She gave me a nice handout on anesthesia (which after you read, you are totally sure you are going to die) however, she did tell me not to panic that this paper has to list every possible or known issue and that it really is not that bad. She said my I would arrive at 6:00am, be taken into a room to change into my fancy hospital gown attire ( I forgot to ask about cotton underwear, but will be sure and wear some just in case, I know...way to much information right?? ) then I will be brought into another room to get all my I'V's etc installed. She warned me that there is absolutely nothing warm and fuzzy about a surgical room and not to let the sterile, environment scare me. Once all this is done I will be brought in to meet the anesthesiologist and assisting doctor. He will explain everything to me then will send me off to la la land. I will awake in what feels like a very short amount of time in recovery with warm blankets being put on me.

Martha another surgical buddy of mine, had the same surgery as me yesterday. She had her daughter email me today to wish me good luck on my procedures, and to tell me that everything went smoothly and it really wasn't that bad. Oh, and to tell me to bring a white board to write on. That was so sweet of her, and very comforting to know she is on the other side and that it went well.

At this point, it is just a matter of waiting. Hopefully I will sleep well tomorrow night and all will go as planned (or better.) I have given detailed instructions to my 15 year old son, and to my husband Tony on how to post pics, and comments to my blog. The nurse I talked to today seemed pretty convinced that I would not be up to using my laptop the day of surgery ( I personally intend to try and prove her wrong), however, if it turns out to be the case either my son or my husband Tony will be keeping you all updated on how things went. Oh....and I told him to take lots of pictures, even if I look like hell (which I'm sure I will.) I will post right before I head into surgery on Thursday, other then that you probably won't hear from me til were all finished. Thanks for all your support it is greatly appreciated and I'm sure the well wishes will carry me safely to the other side.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Just know that you're in our thoughts! Can't wait to hear from you once you're officially on "the other side."

    And don't stress out! You're as prepared as anyone can be ... just stay positive, know that all the swelling and associated "weirdness" is only temporary, and you'll be well on your way to a full recovery before you know it.

    :)

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooo warm blankets...that's my specialty in the recovery room ;)

    About the underwear - you're having a cath, so they'll most likely tell you not to wear any under your gown.

    You're going to do great, I can't wait to see the new mouth!

    - Beneath the stars

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Hey Brandy, how about a couple of before shots, I don't think I have ever seen your profile. M

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good Luck Brandy! It's so exciting to see you are finally here. You are so prepared. It's all going to go very well, I just know it.

    I'll be checking on you tomorrow to see how your doing! Hopefully enjoying some good meals :)

    Take care,
    Amy

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    THIS is SO FRICKIN' EXCITING!

    (I second Mary. Let's have some "before" pics, please. Seriously.)

    And please, if I may assure your son and husband, there really and truly ARE people out here who really want to see Brandy's pictures and status updates. For real!

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    GOOD LUCK!!! You will be in my thoughts and prayers! Can't wait to see pics!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home