Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Check Out My Kobayashi Hooks !

Trust me when I say they are not near as glamorous as they sound....they are, however, the latest addition to the current metal in my mouth though. Nine of the most lovely rounded hooks one could possible desire. Five on top, and four on the bottom, now come admit it...don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me! LOL...NOT! My ortho spent some time bending them in so they would not be poking me, and like Amy's ortho he used the ones with the nice rounded tips so at the moment they are really not causing me too much grief! I do hate the one on the top center though as it makes me look like I have food in my teeth when I talk now. Oh well, suppose it can't be all good right? I mean what then would I have to look forward too? :)

(Sorry about this terrible pic, I had to contort my mouth all out of shape to be able to get all the hooks in the picture, it makes my teeth look all crooked, when they really are straight!)

Mostly today was pretty uneventful. Had pre-surgical impressions done for the 3rd and final time now. Got new white powerchains, and suffered through about 10 minutes while these little babies were added to my current steel archwire. Then I was released and free to go. The ortho wants to see me on June 11th, two weeks after my surgery for my first appointment. He says that he will be very surprised if I don't have a split on my uppers. That most doctors have to use them on double jaw surgeries in order to anchor the top jaw correctly in place before heading down to the lower jaw. This totally sucks as I had thought I would not be having one at all, and was pretty psyched about that part too! He did say that if I do have one though that he will most likely be taking it out at my two week appointment and tightly banding me instead then, so I suppose I can suffer with a splint for two weeks if I have to.

Oh...and my darling son, found out that on his next appointment (June 11th also) that he will be going naked! Yep that's right his braces are officially coming off in 4 weeks. He of course is very excited! and I'm well....so happy for him, he is going to look so great! but envious too that he will no longer be able to fully appreciate my oral drama anymore! LOL..

My pre-surgical appointment with the Oral Surgeon is on Tuesday, at which point I will be only 9 days from the big slice and dice! So far...knock on wood, I'm doing very well staving off the fear and anxiety. I think for the most part I have come to terms with this surgery and pretty much feel at peace with it. I know it will be fine and all work out wonderfully. I'm prepared, and honestly ready to just get on with things! Hope this feeling lasts until I'm wheeled into surgery!

8 Comments:

  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    BRANDY:
    Looks like you're ready to make great progress! I'll be following your story unfold to help me learn as much as I can so I know more about what I've volunteered to. I hope the hooks don't cause problems but I'd stock up on wax just for a safety net.

    iBorg

     
  • At 3:24 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Ahhh yes ... the good 'ol surgical hooks. Be thankful you only have nine of them. My Ortho put a total of 18 on me (nine on top and bottom) "JUST IN CASE" the surgeons needed them.

    Time sure does fly. Just think, in a couple of more weeks you'll be on the downhill side of the surgery!

    Don't worry ... I'm sure you'll find that the hardest part of this whole adventure is the time leading up to the surgery. You've done your homework and prepared yourself as best you can. Pretty soon you'll be asking yourself what all the stress was about :)

     
  • At 5:22 AM, Blogger Graham said…

    Well I'm glad the hooks aren't bothering you since I thought they usually don't put them on until a few days before surgery? Ten minutes to put them on sounds quick, wow. Interesting that they are anchored on the wire too since for some reason I had it in my head that they were wrapped around the brackets.

    So now you get to carry the torch.
    And the rest of us get to call you Captain Hook!

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger LupiLass said…

    Your hooks look just like mine. I've got 7 on top and the same on the bottom. Glad their not giving you any trouble my bottom central one did for a bit but it's ok now! Your last paragraph just about sums up how I feel at the moment. I get the big chop next Wednesday, so I'll be on the other side this time next week!

    You wait so long then it just zooms up before you know it!

    Good luck :-)

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Hey, Brandy! My surgeon originally told me I wouldn't have a splint either, but at my last visit said I would have one for 4 weeks postop. They sound kind of miserable, but in some way I was a bit relieved. I'm so worried about things not healing right or relapsing and I think having the splint will make me feel a little more secure. My surgery is just a couple of days ahead of yours and on the surface I don't think I'm nervous, just anxious to get it over with, but I'm finding I'm having a hard time falling asleep at night and I've been getting terrible headaches. I'm wondering if I'm anxious on a subconscious level? I don't have my hooks on yet, but have an appt. with my OD on Monday. If he puts them on during that visit, I'm going to ask him about the rounded tips. They look comfortable. I guess if more metal in our mouths can be comfortable, right? I love the blender blues song! Pretty soon, we'll be able to commiserate! Tell your son congratulations. And to wear his retainer!

    Martha

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Bill,
    I may be getting more of these hooks. My ortho wasn't sure how many my OS wanted so he said when I see him on the 15th if he wants more, then I will go back and have more installed.

    Lets hope I don't need anymore!

    Graham, the hooks are not too bad, I mean after the RPE, they are really nothing!

    Hey Martha,
    Sounds like you are having anxiety for sure. Even if you are not aware of it. Although I think that is probably normal given that things are rapidly approaching for you and I. I sorta had my freak out week back in February when I found out but now I'm pretty calm for the next few days anyway! Good luck to you though, do you have a blog so I can follow your journey? If not email me ok? My email address is Brandyleigh35@hotmail.com It would be nice to have someone I can commiserate with when the day finally arrives.

     
  • At 4:19 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    WOW, look at you! Your all ready for surgery! I can't wait to see the end results. And go figure, on your first post-op appointment, your son gets his braces off. That's not fair, but good for him! It's actually a little weird reading about what you are going through right now because I was suppose to be having my surgery on the 20th, but my stupid teeth move too slow :( Oh well, my time will come quicker than I think! Good luck, and I will be checking back often (usually daily) to see your progress!

    ~ Tara

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,
    It was very interesting to read your post because my surgery was totally different! I had no hooks or splint. My surgeon did the lower jaw first. Then he did the lefort procedure and wired the upper teeth to the lowers, in a sense using the lower jaw as an anchor.

    How long will you be banded for? I was wired for 10 days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home