Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

1 Month, 1 Week, and 4 Day's til my Surgery!

So today was officially day two without any caffeine, and I have to say that I feel pretty great! No more exhaustion, or grogginess. I never realized how hard it is to truly avoid Caffeine though. I swear it is in everything that tastes good! I have been drinking hot Tang lately, and actually I rather like it! I have been walking briskly with my mom at night for an hour. We live in a very hilly subdivision so we are getting lots of good muscle work. The weather is getting really nice now too so it is soooo GREAT! to be able to see the sun and actually feel it on my skin. That part is the best!

So, I checked my ticker today to see how close I am to surgery. I have been staying busy and trying really hard not to worry about it. I hadn't realized that it was only about 5 weeks away now! Coming up soon! I still feel very scared if I allow myself to really dwell on it for any prolonged period of time. Mostly though I have just not been thinking about it, and that seems to be better for me. Honestly I'm just trying to really enjoy the time I have in my current mouth, and while I'm still a bit unnerved, I'm confident now that it will all be fine, and turn out well, I trust my doctor and he did such a good job on my SARPE that I'm actually sorta excited! I know it will be here before I know it though.

My PCP sent my ECG into the cardiologist to be read. Just so happens that I have connectons with this cardiologist. My mom used to be her nanny for a few years. So she called me and said she needed the original ECG to look at (my doctor only had a copy), and she would let me know by about Monday how everything looks. I'm sure it will be fine though so I'm not stressing about that either.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Hey Brandy, How time flies! Hot Tang, never thought of that! I think the whole debate about coffee is interesting. I know what you mean about not giving it up definitely and that's how I feel too. I allow myself one (or 2) cups a months but its becoming less of a big deal as time goes on. Its funny though about how people say that coffee is good for you -- people used to cite these studies to me too. The thing is these "studies" are always funded by the caffeine industry, mostly the soft drink industry. Coffee is a stimulant and its true that it does have its positive effects. That's why we love it so much. It has a half life of about 6 hours (its a drug!) which is why it interfers with sleep and also why by morning we are withdrawing from it which is why we feel so much better after drinking it. Caffeine stimulates everything in our bodies from our brain to our bladders. It depletes adrenals and increases blood pressure while constricting blood vessels. It also interfers with diggestion and even though it stimulates the bowels, it relaxes the colon muscles which in the long run can cause chronic fatigue. It actually accelerates aging and is dehydrating. So even if you just give yourself a break from it before surgery, I think you are doing yourself a world of good. So congratulations on day 2 with no caffeine, that certainly is an accomplishment! Mary

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Oops, I meant to say, causes chronic constipation but it also does cause chronic fatigue as well. I think it also depends on sensitivity. Some people tell me they can drink a cup of coffee at bed time and fall right asleep. M

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Wow, won't be long now! I remember being scared when I had 5 weeks to go but surprisingly, it got better as it got closer. Weird, huh? Maybe my brain just shut down as a defence mechanism. :)

    Great going on beating the caffeine addiction! Are you getting withdrawal headaches at all?

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Wow Mary,
    Thanks for all the info. Yes I have read several studies recently about the benefits of Coffee. Mostly it was related to like the natural tannins and such. The caffeine issue was never really addressed. I do know that when I was off it before I felt really good, and I'm feeling much better now too. I seem to be sleeping a bit better to, and since I'm already having really high DHEA (which comes from your adrenal glands) I figure it can't do anything but benefit me to get off it for awhile. It will be interesting to see what my tests results look like after the surgery when I really start sleeping. I will be curious to see if the increased sleep, and lack of caffeine have an affect on my levels.

    REbecca,
    No I'm not getting any headaches, but then I was only drinking one cup of coffee a day. I did have a pretty bad one the couple days before I actually quit when I was reducing my consumption. But the actual day I stopped I was just very tired....but no headache. Thank goodness, as caffeine headaches are the worst. As for the surgery its coming up fast, but I'm just trying not to think about it. I'm really busy at work which helps, but for now I just want to live in denial til it gets closer and I can't any longer. :)

    Brandy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home