Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Genioplasty Denied for a Second Time! :(

Ok, so my insurance is not going to cover the Genio. They see it as cosmetic and that my apnea does not support it. So...ok fine then, I will pay for it. The doctor feels it is necessary according to the prediction tracings he drew so I will just go with it and see how it all turns out.

I can't believe my surgery is in three days now. It all feesl so strangely sureal! I have been eating more of the stuff I like. Had some pad thai and spring rolls today at a favorite thai restaurant. Had some pizza the other night, and some sushi at a Japapnese restaurant a couple days ago. I'm not overeating, just indulging in things I do not have all the time. I feel pretty calm about things, honestly almost mellow if that is possible. Perhaps it will really hit me Wednesday night, but for now it has not. I think the whole surgery in the hospital thing had me freaked out. Once I found out it was considered Day surgery I wasn't so freaked. Why? no idea, I guess I figure Day surgery means it's not as serious and they don't anticipate any really issues, so it some weird way that comforts me. I feel like I"m as prepared as a person can really be for surgery. I'm mentally ready, physically ready, and have all the things I need on hand for when I get home....prune juice included! I'm convinced it will go as smooth as it possibly can and I will come out of all this with a new lease on life. I will finally be able to sleep like a normal person again! That in and of itself will make it all worth it.

I'm going to purchase one of those medical foam wedges as I have decided that I want to sleep in a bed at night. This will of course depend on how comfortable I can get but it is my tenative plan nonetheless. Plus my darling husband says he wants me near so he can keep an eye on me. He is such a sweetie!

So, I figured out how much this journey has cost me now out of pocket. Braces $7300.00, SARPE $1,000, Surgical out of pocket fee $4500.00, Genioplasty $3650.00, Hospital CoPay $500.00 , Molar Implant $5,000 - Grand total $21,950.00 OUCH!!!

7 Comments:

  • At 5:31 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    $21,950 out of pocket! OUCH! For me it was only the braces which were $7500, in Canada the rest is covered, even the genio. I never could have had it done otherwise!

    You're really prepared! That's half the battle I think, being educated and knowing what you're in for. I think you'll have a pretty smooth time of it. Smoother than most. I can't believe your surgery is so close now!

    I'll be thinking of you on Surgery Day.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree that you seem well prepared. I'm hoping for the best result for you. Hopefully your supplements will make this a quick recovery. If it is, I'll be following your lead.

    I do wish you hadn't sent out your total. I know the individual expenses but I just don't want to see a total amount. Scares me!!

    Enjoy the next two nights. I'm looking forward to positive remarks on the "other side."

    Mike

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Hey Brandy, its getting down to the wire, wow! These past months sure have gone by fast. Once your surgery is done and all the expenses get submitted, if your insurance denies the genio then you can appeal the denial. I think you should fight it and if they deny your appeal, you should make a claim with the Dept. of Insurance. If your surgeon feels it is medically necessary than they should pay! Anyway, I wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery but I will also send you an email. M

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Wow ... I was thinking you still had another week to go! Time sure is flying by.

    Have no worries - you're going to do super both during and after the surgery!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger 57rdi said…

    Yikes! Well, consider it an early (insert the gift-giving holiday of your choice here) present to yourself ... for the next few years.

    Good luck, Brandy. As Bill said, you'll be just fine. I can't wait to check your blog in a few days to see you post-op.

    -Vaughn

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    Insurance is so annoying, but they'll push back on everything. Some companies are worse than others of course but they're pretty evil.

    Best wishes as your surgery is this week! Very exciting!

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    I wonder if maybe you'll get lucky and once the OS is in there will decide you actually don't need the genio. Happens all the time. But either way, it's money well spent and you'll be happy to just be done with it all.

    Well so much for you and I being surgery buddies eh! Lucky you to be ready now!

    Oh and don't push yourself too hard ok? None of us expect you to have your laptop in the hospital! :)

    Good luck!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home