Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Day 8 - Changes Continue

Here is my bright, trying to smile face, on Day 8 post op. Things are starting to feel a little better today. Still feel tingly and thick in the chin, but I can feel if something dribbles down my lower lip and onto my chin so that that is encouraging. Swelling in my mouth is starting to come down too. I lost a stitch in the sink while brushing this morning, and things don't feel so tight and puffy in the back of my throat and palate area.

I'm tired, I did not sleep well last night. I'm still having to take Advil about every 4-5 hours for the achiness, and on my jaw line (where the bone grafts were done) things are very tender. It feels like a very sensitive bruise. Swelling has come down enough though that I can actually feel the indent where the bone graft was taken. I've been trying really hard but truly can't feel any screws in my jaw. I know he used really tiny ones but I thought I would be able to feel them.

I'm thinking of calling my doctor about getting some more antibiotics. He gave me enough for 7 days, and I'm about finished, but given the fact that I'm still really healing, and after my SARPE I had chronic sinus infections, I'm just worried that something bad is going to happen. Also, that upper rear molar is bothering me still. Even with all the numbness in my mouth I can feel it, and since it clearly had a problem before surgery, and he didn't find anything while scoping things, that tells me that that tooth must have an infection, or a crack in the crown that no one can see. We are not going to be able to work on it for awhile, since its so far back and I can't open my mouth yet, so I just feel like another week of antibiotics would make me feel better.

Mostly things are progressing along just fine. My lower lip area is still very puffy and numb, and expect that will probably hang on for awhile, or at least till all the swelling in my mouth comes down.

For breakfast I had some Malto-meal, and a scrambled egg blended with ham, and cheese.
Posted by Picasa

Here is the slideshow with updated pics:


  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    I'm quite impressed with how well you can use your camera with one hand! So how do you like your new chin, or is it too early to tell? Its funny to read your food forays. It never occurred to me to actually process food. I ate mostly soups that Jeff made for me and drank Odwalla soy smoothies. And I ate a lot of mashed potatoes with gravy. Mary

  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Roopak Majmudar said…

    OMG, you're 2 days behind me! I'm Day 10 post-op. I wish I had discovered the Ortho-blogosphere sooner since I've been living this journey out on my own until now.

    I'm bummed about not seeing any signs of stitches in my sink yet. I tried taking a peek under my upper lip today but couldn't get a glimpse.

    In any case, I have 7 days of blog posts to catch up on still. I'll be back later!

  • At 7:42 PM, Anonymous ohmyjaw said…

    Hi Brandyleigh,
    You are looking great!

    I can feel two screws, one on each side of my nose. I couldn't feel them at first; there was too much swelling. Give it a couple more weeks!


Post a Comment

<< Home