Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Two Month Follow Up with Oral Surgeon

Well it appears I'm doing fabulously, according to my OS today. He said that I look great, and that feeling is coming back exactly on schedule. I asked him about my range of motion and he said not to worry about it, that it is usually the last thing to come back, but that it will. He said he doesn't even have his patients do anything special, that it will come back on its own. Since I'm in elastics he said that it probably won't improve much until I'm out of them. That the muscles are fighting against the elastics and they get sore, and inflamed, and that they really wont' be able to totally repair until they no longer are in competition with the rubberbands. That is about what I figured, but it was a relief to know I don't need to be doing anything to really fix it.

He talked to me about my implant, saying that 4-4.5 months post op is the best time to place it in the bone graft and told me to schedule an appointment for late September, early October to finish that up and he will see me again then. Then he says I wait 5 months and he will check things out. If all looks good then I will see my Dentist who will make the final implant crown. So by February 2008 I should have my new implant. I never realized how long of a process getting an implant was with a bone graft. I thought you just go and they fit them and that within a couple months its all good! NOT..I've learned so much through this whole process.

Anyway...the appointment ended with my OS saying "You're going to have one gorgeous smile once this is all done and they take your braces off" and that he would see me again in a couple months. I was just glad to know I'm coming along as planned.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    That's good to know about the rubber bands. I know that's something I'd be curious about too. I'm not sure I trust my muscles!

    I was curious to know, since you had two surgeries...how did the two compare in your mind?

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    It's amazing how long some of this dental work can take. It seems like the end is NEVER going to come. But you are almost there! And you are looking GREAT!
    ~ Tara

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger chris k said…

    Thanks for the comment Brandy. You've certainly cleared up the difference between the two palette expanding options in my mind. I didn't realize I'd have to expand 5mm or more! I like the idea of getting the arches all perfect separately before putting them together though. Coming from a construction background it makes more sense to me. Thanks again.

    ck

     

Post a Comment

<< Home