Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Lots of Comparison Pics

So, things are progressing along and getting better everyday. At 7.5 weeks post op the numbness in my tongue has really gotten better. I'm sure it is going to go away completely now with time. The area it covers is gradually shrinking and is now only about the left front tip area. The numbness in my lower lip has also come down a lot and somedays it almost feels normal. I'm back to full workouts at the gym 5 days a week now, and weight lifting. I just make sure I'm very careful to keep my mouth open so that I don't clench my teeth together during heavy lifting. It is sorta tricky but I'm getting pretty good at it. I've also noticed that when I do my step classes that towards the end of class my lower lip gets really numb and cold. I had a hard time talking after class today as my mouth just didn't want to cooperate with me. Between the numb lip, and triangle rubberbands it is quite challenging to speak clearly sometimes.

It's been awhile since I posted some comparison pics. So here is where we are at.

This pic was taken in 1997 when I was 33 years old. It is the face and teeth I was born with and is prior to any of my orthodontic/orthognathic work.















This was taken yesterday at 43 years old. Post SARPE, Upper, Lower, and Genioplasty. You can really see the difference in my chin, and I think my cheekbones look rounder and fuller too. As for my nose, it has changed a bit, but is really not noticible unless you really knew me before. I actually think it looks better now that the bimax has been done. I noticed a much bigger change in my nose when just the SARPE had been done, and I really wasn't that fond of it.


This was my pre surgical mouth taken on Feb 16, 2006 (First Day with Braces)




This is my smile now, post SARPE, Upper, Lower, and Genioplasty.






This is what we started with (my pre-surgical palate)








This is where we are at now, post all the surgeries










This was my lowers on Feb 16, 2006 (day one in braces)










This is my lowers as of today.


Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy!

    I've been reading your posts and just wanted to say congratulations! Your recovery seems to be going very well. :)

    I too just had lower jaw surgery and reading about your recovery process puts a lot of concerns at ease. So thanks!

    I did have one question though, your swelling seems to have completely gone away in just a few weeks! (lucky you!) Do you happen to know the average time it takes for it to completely go away? I'm currently 4 weeks op and still have swelling. Although, they feel more like knots in my cheek!

    Thanks so much for your help! and again, congrats!

    -sue

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Well swelling is really variable for people, and can go away quickly or last for months. I did a lot of stuff, like putting warm/hot heat packs on my face just about everynight. Then I would massage my cheeks and jawline. At about 4 weeks post op I went and had a MLD massage (manual lymph drainage.) I also took Bromelain (which is a natural enzyme from Pineapple) which helps digest away swelling.) I took that for 6 weeks.

    I also have en excellent surgeon. As for the lumps you are feeling they could be scar tissue that is forming. Which was another reason I did the massages everyday as I wanted to keep things from getting stiff.

    There really is not an answer to this, your body will let the swelling go when it is ready. I did notice that my swelling came down the most between like week 5 -7, so hopefully soon yours will too. Good luck!

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandyleigh,

    In an earlier post I said that I thought you looked 10 years younger....Well actually I think you look a lot younger than the photo taken when you were 33! Congratulations. This has been a hugely successful journey for you. I know that the main reason for having the surgery was for function, but what great aesthetic results too!! You must be delighted.

    Thanks again for such keeping such a complete Blog and sharing the whole experience. You are an inspiration to so many of us. My surgery (BSSO and Lefort 1 plus a possible Genio) is looking likely to be in November and I feel so much better informed having followed your story.

    I can't wait to see the final result when your braces come off!

    Genevieve.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,

    Thanks so much for your feedback. I TRULY appreciate and will take you up on your suggestions. :)

    Again congrats! You give us hope!!

    -sue

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,
    I know, long time no comment, but I have been checking in on how you've been doing. You look great and doing so well! Now that all of the surgery stuff is behind you, hope your enjoying your summer.

    I think I'm going to put up compare pics at the end. I now have people tell me, they can't remember what I looked like before. Isn't it funny how you have a big change and yet in a few months it just seems so natural.

    I'll be checking in on how things go up to your debracing. Take care, Amy

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger allison said…

    It's really nice to follow your surgery/recovery experience and then see such beautiful pictures. You look wonderful!

    Allison

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Kristy Eng said…

    I know this is a tad late, but i've been reading through your blog in preparation for my surgery in less than 2 weeks now....man what a change you went through, it looks amazing! I can only hope for half of those results

     

Post a Comment

<< Home