Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Home at last, Home AT LAST! - 5 weeks + 3 days Post Op.

Ok, so today is 36 days post op, and here are some new updated pics. Things are going well and improving daily still. They also seem a bit better now that I'm back home. Last night on the plane my lip started to feel like it was thawing out on the lower left side, and continues to feel the same today. It totally feels like when novocaine is wearing off. Sortof cold, tingly, and weird, but I'm happy that it is getting better. I can now smile better without feeling the tightness in my left cheek, and closing my mouth without forcing it is getting much easier.  
 
Yesterday I spent the afternoon in Salt Lake City shopping and hanging out. It was ok for being stuck somewhere. The mall we went to was a nice outdoor mall with a cool in ground fountain in the center. It randomly shot up bursts of water all over. It was a hot sunny day and the kids were all running through the water bursts. It would've been a great picture (unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera.) We finally made it out of Salt Lake at 9:50 (almost and hour late again) but at least I got home!


Now for the best news! I got my insurance claims back today and they covered almost all of my genioplasty plus everything else. Here are the total billed costs and what was actually paid.

Total billed $57,249.16
Total paid by insurance $45,370.59
Total I had to pay out of pocket $5,000 (this included my $1,000 yearly contribution, $3500.00 that was not covered by insurance, and $1114.00 for my genioplasty)
I was originally supposed to be paying $8650.00, so we saved $3600.00!

Grand Total for everything - $50,370.59

Now mind you, one night of hospital alone was $27,000.00 had I stayed another day it would've easily increased the cost to $75,000.00. Crazy isn't it?
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger learian said…

    There are so many topics on which I could comment, but let's cut to the chase. That tan is to die for! Best, Learian

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    Love the new pics Brandy! Very cute indeed.

    Also I'm thrilled that insurance was merciful to you. I saw Sicko on the weekend and all of it reminded me of how much extra stress insurance adds to the experience. I wish it was all free but it seems you did ok.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    So expensive! I don't understand how 1 night in a hospital can cost *that* much, you know? Thank god for insurance!

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Yes, isn't that crazy! What I find more ridiculous is short of changing my IV's and bringing me ice for my jaw bra, they didn't do anything. I basically took care of myself. My husband was there for quite awhile, and when he left I suctioned myself as needed and just slept. The cost is really just ridiculous. I cant wait to get the actual breakdown from the hospital to see what was so expensive. Thank God for insurance is all I can say!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Looking great Brandy!

    I know why it costs so much for one night's stay in the hospital ... those nifty pajamas :)

     
  • At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now I understand why my insurance rates are so high. Could you imagine what the bill would be if we had Hilary Care?! At least it was a life saving operation and not something frivolous...uh....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home