Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Survived SARPE/ 4 hours post op.... was D-day. SARPE, plus two extractions. I went to the doctor at 10:15. I was then brought into the office where the surgery was done. The OS took one Xray of my front teeth so that he could know which chisel he would need to use for the procedure (this was not the most comforting thing to say to someone coming in for surgery mind you.) The nurse then put a blood pressure cuff on my left arm and took my blood pressure. It was 116 over 63 and they commented on how calm I was. She then put an oxygen meter on my left index finger. Next the doctor found a vein in my right arm (right where it bends) and so gently inserted the needle that I didn't even feel it. A velcro strap was placed over my wrist to secure my arm to the arm of the chair and I was then told that I was going to start getting a bit goofy, I quickly became light headed, and commented on how fast I felt it hit me. My Doctor said "yep, its fast" Honestly after that I don't remember a whole lot. I was consciously aware that stuff was going on around me and I could here the doctor and nurse talking to one another,but I was really pretty out of it (in a happy place.) I remember hearing him say that I would feel a few bangs as he separted the front portion of my palate. I did feel those (three of them.) They were not painful but the pressure and bang resonated quite forcefully to my head and I remember scrunching up my eyebrows from the force. Next I remember hearing him say "we just finished putting your appliance in, we are going to give it a couple of turns and make sure everything is working ok, then I will finished up with that tooth on the bottom. Were almost done" I heard him ask the nurse to remove the bracket from the lower tooth, and some very slight crunching as they removed it.Throughout the whole procedure I felt nothing. Then I was awake. It felt like I had been asleep for a very short time, and I checked my watch to see how long. I went into surgery at approximately 10:50 and I was out at 11:55, so barely 1 hour of total surgery time. My doctor said everything went smoothy, that there were no complications, and that I barely even bled at all! I was very happy to hear that, and very pleased with the quality of care I got there!

I currently have a small verticle incision right about my front teeth with a couple of stitches, and I have stitches on both sides between my cheeks. From what I can feel the stitches seem to start at or about my second molar and run up to my first molar. They are no longer than about 1 inch in diameter on both sides.

Upon leaving the surgeons office I went and got a smoothie to drink, I was starving! I'm still pretty tired and out of it. The novacaine is starting to wear off and I feel some mild pain right at or about my cheekbones. I'm icing like crazy, even brought ice packs with me to the doctors office. I'm noticing that when it starts to ache the ice really seems to help. At this point I've only had to take Advil for the pain. I do have a slight gap between my teeth now (see pics below) and I will take some better pics tomorrow of my stitches once the bleeding has settled down. They are not bleeding a lot, but some, and when I move my lip it starts to bleed pretty heavily. My teeth feel a bit loose in the front, sorta like when my braces are moving them around, but I have had no nose bleeds. My nose feels slightly stuffy but nothing too bad, in fact it almost seems like I can breathe better at the moment, which is a big plus!

Pre surgery

Post Surgery


  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    Way to go Brandy!!! :o) Sounds like you aced it! Great to hear that you seem to be doing well even just 4 hours post-op. I'm glad you didn't experience any major pain, and hopefully the bleeding will stop really soon. Thanks for the detailed description of your stitches and such. Looking forward to hearing more once you're better rested. Take care for now! Congratulations!

  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Kiwikaren said…

    Brandy so pleased that the SARPE went well and that you're not in too much discomfort ... hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you.

    Great to see that gap already between your upper teeth ... amazing!

    Take good care of yourself ... plenty of rest and plenty of r and r!

    Wé're thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

  • At 4:55 AM, Anonymous candygrrrl said…

    Congrats on pulling through with flying colors! The photos are great and to me the swelling isn't noticeable at all. I am about your age, with similar ortho problems and am facing the possibility of SARPE in April (we're trying an expander first, which with any luck goes in on Friday), so I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks again and best of luck!

  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Rachel Nicole said…

    Hi there, I believe I'm having this same surgery. I have had the RPE two times and have relapsed both times. It is only my top palate that needs stretched. I'm having my tonsils removed next week to get rid of my obstructed airway. And will be going into braces after that. I just wanted to know how long you were in your braces and how painful was the surgery? Any other suggestions would be great. I'm 15 btw. Thanks!

  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Rayner said…

    Skimming through the other posts, I'd say that you've had quite a lot of dental work done, Brandy. How on earth were you able to survive all those? I bet you were sedated in at least one of the procedures.

    If I were in your position, I would tell my Chicago sedation dentist to give me the strongest he has, because I get really anxious when it comes to surgery! If it weren't for sedation dentistry, Chicago dentists wouldn't have done any work on me. Best of luck, Brandy! Hang in there!


Post a Comment

<< Home