Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Friday, August 03, 2007

10 Weeks Post Op

So here is a new 10 week post op pic. I got sick of looking at the same old same old so I had my son Michael shoot a pic outside from my front porch today. I feel like I say the same thing each week, but things are definitely improving, just at a bit slower rate. I'm getting more feeling in my chin area and lower lip, but the left side of my lower lip is still almost completely numb. There really is no tingling or anything in that area, which has me a bit worried as I'm hoping to get full feeling back. I know it is still pretty early though so I'm not going to get too worried about it just yet. My tongue is also still numb and if it is improving is doing so at a snails paste. It is a bit discouraging as it makes eating far less enjoyable since the taste buds in the numb area are also dead. As for swelling, mostly I think it comes down during the day, but when I wake in the morning and for about 3 - 4 hours my face looks puffy and fat. The it will go away and my face will look mostly normal. I think it will take a few months for that to fully go away. At least I don't FEEl so swollen when I awake now even if I still look puffy.

Chewing is improving slightly, but is still very annoying. Mostly because it is hard to feel the food between numb teeth and manuevering it around with a half numb tongue is not easy. I still prefer to drink a smoothie for breakfast and honestly it has become a sort of comfort food for me. I use vanilla soy milk, berries, a scoop of yogurt or slow churned dreyers, and a couple packs of splenda. It is pretty good and the protein from the soy milk stays with me quite awhile. Since I no longer drink coffee or caffienated beverages it has become a staple for me in the morning. I also love that I can zap it in my magic bullet and be heading out the door with my breakfast drink in less then two minutes.
This pic I included cause I thought it had a really good view of how my teeth are looking. The rubberbands are still not great, but I suppose I'm used to them now so they do not annoy me as much as they were before. Other then that....things are just coming along.
Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

  • At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are still so tanned!

    Thanks for the update, would you say you have any swelling in the area's that are still numb? Even just a tiny bit of it?

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Yes definitely I still have some swelling. In these pics I think my face looks really fat. They were taken just about 2 hours after I got up. I find it takes 3-4 hours afer waking for the swelling to totally die down and my face to thin out to a more normal appearance.

    I still have swelling in my lower lip area though for sure! Can't wait til that goes away!

     
  • At 6:04 AM, Blogger amycq said…

    You look great! What a pretty picture of you out on the porch! I'm jealous of that hanging basket of flowers. Beautiful! Although my tomatoes, squash and eggplant are doing quite well!! ...maybe by the time they are ready to be harvested, I will be ready to eat them!?

    Well from someone on the outside, you can't tell you are still a bit swollen or numb if you didn't say anything.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger learian said…

    Lovely,lovely pictures! I think the MMA+GA has to result in more and lasting numbness than just the MMA. I'm about 2 1/2 weeks behind you, and my tongue has returned completely. However, like you, I really haven't quite resumed the joy of eating pre MMA. I, too, am on a smoothie kick. It is comfort food to be sure. My other one is blended soups with plops of cottage cheese. What I haven't mastered yet is the art of eating any food which breaks apart. There starts a free for all. As always, thank you for your outstanding blog. Best, Learian from Sleepnet

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Glad to hear everything is continuing to go well for you. What a gorgeous Pot of Petunia's. I'd love to have them hanging on my porch...I happy for you Brandy, you look great!

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    WOW Brandy, you look great! Love the new pics. And those flowers... they are amazing! Why don't mine look like that? Oh, that might be because I forget to water them sometimes. Oops! But you look great. It actually makes me sad to see how great you are doing. I was suppose to have surgery right around the same time, and I am still getting ready for it, so I'm a bit jealous (ok, A LOT jealous, but my time will come).

    ~ Tara

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    Such a lovely girl on a lovely porch! So pretty! I bet those braces are coming off soon. Real soon!

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    You look great. I don't see the swelling at all. Love the new chin. That is really a nice, relaxed picture on the porch.

    I am impressed that you are doing well off of caffiene too! I would be a total zombie without the caffiene stim.

    I finally have a date now! Looks like my day is Oct. 24. I should be where you are now around New Years. What a great way to start the new year!

     
  • At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brandy,

    You're looking great! Hang in there with the painful tooth.

    If you start getting annoyed by your elastics, just check out mine on archwired! I have two triangles on each side. Still!

    I love your flower basket too. That's gorgeous!

    Phil (from ArchWired)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home