Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

4 Months and 1 Week Post Op

Well, I almost didn't post this week because I just didn't really have anything to report! LOL... However, it appears that many more of you (more then I had thought) are still quite interested in what is going on with my continued oral drama. So here is my latest update. Everything is still pretty much the same as last week. I can say that eating is getting better though, not quite as challenging thank goodness. I'm not biting my cheek as much anymore either so things are feeling much better in that department too.

I'm starting to sorta dread my appointment for my implant post on the 4th. I mean, I'm just burnt on stuff happening in my mouth...know what I mean? I'm sure it won't be near as bad as this last go round was, but the thought of having my gums all stitched up again (even if its only a small area) does not excite me at all. I'm also a little worried about having a sore jaw afterwards. My range of motion is still not 100% and I'm sure my jaw will have to be stretched a little bit in order to get in there and do what needs to be done. Oh well....at least it is just one step closer to being done with all of this. All that will be left is to get my braces off and put the actual implant tooth on the post in March. Then I will be finished!

Thought I would post a small update regarding my sleep apnea to, since that really is the reason I did all of this. I must say that I'm so glad that I had this surgery. Even with the lingering numbness etc it has been so worth it in terms of getting my life back. My sleep is AMAZING now! I mean it is so hard to really explain how great it is unless you have ever dealt with serious, long term, sleep apnea. Now mind you after the surgery it was better, but there was still swelling that needed to go down, and it takes several months post surgery to recover from the long term sleep deficit. At 4 months and 1 week post op I'm feeling amazing! Rested, so rested! I'm dreaming again. Wonderful, full color, long, detailed, gloriously vivid dreams, every night! For someone who has never been a great sleeper, and seriously not had a real dream in several years, this is truly a blessed gift! In addition to having several great dreams a night I can remember things soo much better now! At school I have almost 500 kids whose names I must try and remember. Last year and for the past several years my memory for names, and actually most everything else was nothing short of dismal. NOW, however, things are sooo much better! I feel like my brain is now sharp again, no more having to search in my head for names or try to remember things that seemed like they were shrouded in brain cotton. My head is clear, and my memory good. I now find that I'm not eating as much either. Mostly because I'm not eating due to exhaustion. I eat when I'm hungry now, and stop when I'm satisfied. I don't snack all the time or have weird cravings like I was before. In addition to all of these amazing changes, I now have a ton of energy. I'm back at the gym working out 5 days a week, and feel strong, healthy, and much like my old (pre-apnea) self again. All of these things because I'm getting into deep sleep now and no longer waking up gasping for air!
Seattle Bill said something like "apnea drains away at your life force like some kind of invisible vampire" This is so true, I had not even realized how much so until now. I can tell you though that I believe this surgery has saved my life. I will never again take the simple things for granted. I can't adequately express with words how incredibly grateful I am for my oral surgeon, and for my orthodontist, for giving me this second chance at real life. It really is incredible, and I'm so happy to be me again!

Not much going on besides these few things, but if something else amazing happens in the next few days I will let you all know! :)

3 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Shontelly said…

    Hi Brandy! Good for you!! Eating healthy and working out in itself makes ya feel so much better. I need to get my butt back in the gym. I'm still reading and checking your blog everyday or every other day. I don't care if your all finished I'll still be checking it! : ) Good day!

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Thanks Shontell,
    Yea I feel really good now. I think it took a good 3.5 months to get over my sleep deficit from not sleeping for so long before surgery. Now I feel back to normal, well actually I feel better then normal!

    Thanks for checking in on me. I will keep posting my progress until this is all completely over. I suspect that could still be a year or more away, especially waiting for all my feeling to come back. So, you will have plenty of fun filled reading in store for you! LOL!

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi. This is the first time I read your page because I just got braces 3 days ago. However, I am much more intrigued about the cure of your severe sleep apnea, of which I suffer from. How did braces help you? I would love to know. I have had my uvula chopped down, my tongue lasered and my tonisls removed and my thyroid checked...and nothing has helped me. What is your secret? Most gratefully, lorie.terrian@comcast.net.
    Thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home