Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Friday, August 17, 2007

3 Months Post Op

Well today is officially 12 weeks since I was sliced and diced. Things continue to change weekly, however, it is definitely slow going these days. My tongue is still numb in the same place and my lower lip has been more numb than usual this week for some strange reason. It feels more tingly though, like novocaine wearing off, so I take that to be a good sign that feeling is coming back. I think previously it was numb, but I just couldn't really feel it cause it was well.....NUMB! LOL, but now it feels puffy, but like pokey, and itchy, and tingly all at the same time. My chin has been itching a lot too! So maybe in another few months I will be able to feel my lower lip again!



My voice no longer sounds so weird. For awhile it was very nasally sounding like I had a bad cold, or was deaf. But recently I have noticed that the swelling in my soft palate has come down a lot and now I sound pretty normal (or at least I think so.) My sinuses are also very clear now. Breathing is really clear and effortless.

Eating is getting much better, although still a bit trying at times. I can pretty much chew most things now. Lets see, I had a bagel today, some licorice, a pork chop the other night, some stir fried beef, a cheesesteak sandwich, Chinese orange chicken, and some celery (not all today.) About the only thing I have found that is really hard to eat is raw carrots, BUT, I can eat those too! Just requires a bit of shredding, instead of biting straight down on them. Biting into things with my front teeth is still a bit challenging, but I have been doing it. It doesn't hurt, just feels wierd since everything is still pretty numb. Eating though, is far less enjoyable now though since it requires so much work. So even though I CAN eat, I'm not doing as much of it since it takes so long, and is effort. I'm sure this will improve over time though. I can say I will be thrilled when I finally get my implant completed next year so I can chew on both sides instead of just one.

Last night I slept so well! So much so I almost slept through my alarm this morning! It was crazy! That has never happened to me. I was dreaming really hard when I heard the alarm. I thought it was my husband's clock and just continued to try and sleep, until I realized it was mine and woke up enough to shut it of. Even though I was still tired and didn't really want to get up, I was also slightly euphoric at the same time. relishing the fact that I was having such a deep, colorful, glorious dream! Even though I dream regularly now, I will soooo never take them for granted ever again!

With that being said, today was a much better day at work. I had quite a bit of energy and got a lot done. I was tired at the end of the day, but it was not a debiliating exhaustion as it was in the past. I was actually pleasantly weary, but still had energy to do other things once I got home. I never felt that way last year! By three o clock I was usually dead, and couldn't wait to get home so I could do nothing. So many changes from this surgery! All positive ones though!

Most of the swelling has come down in my face so I thought I would post some updated profile pics for those of you that care. That is about it for this week. Will post any new changes next week.




Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

  • At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fantastic progress! I imagine you'll feel fatigued for some time.

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Carolina said…

    HI, I am 46 and I am about to start the same long road with braces and surgery. You are a real inspiration!
    I have to switch from my past employer's health insurance to my own (I won't have any break in coverage) but I'll need a new med ins. policy. Could you please share with me the name of your medical insurance company? I know there are no guarantees, but it sounds like your policy has a great dental plan!

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Carolina,
    I'm sorry but I don't think I will be able to help you in that regard. I have insurance through NEA (National Education association)it is with EBMS (employee benefits management system.) As far as I know it is a special plan that is only available to us. Sorry! You might check on the metal mouth forum, you could probably ask people what insurances they have that covered their procedures.

    Brandy

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    Hi Brandy,

    I am now two months from my surgery date (Oct. 24th) and am envious of your sleeping and dreaming! I filled in for half-day at my doctor's office and came home whipped and ready for a nap.

    Looks like your face has settled into it's new nice proportions. I know you have to be pleased with the outcome. I think that if my results are that my sleep is improved and I don't look like a bulldog I will be happy.

    Any advice for the soon-to-be-chinned? For the latest, check our my apneamom blog on the sleepnet forum.

    Anne

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    These photos look amazing Brandy! The change in your profile is striking! Wow! You look so balanced and symmetrical, congrats!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home