Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

New Crown and Essix a Thing of the Past

So I saw my dentist on Monday and he put my new crown on! I'm very happy with it, it matches my teeth now and I don't feel so self conscious. I did get a bit of disconcerting news though. It seems that I have had some root re-absortion on my upper front teeth. One tooth is at less then 50%. Now why this happens is not really known. So people have more of a genetic predisposition for it, other times it could be caused by trauma such as my surgery, or from orthodontic treatment, however, the xrays of my teeth at my removal date showed all of my roots looking fine, so its something that has happened in the last 6 months.

New crown and finished smile
I have been having a lot of discomfort in my front right incisor. It has been wiggly and really uncomfortable when I brush, or try to bite into anything. It just so happened that I had an appointment with the ortho for my retainer check the day after I got my new crown. I talked to him about my loose tooth, and the dentist sent over some xrays showing my roots. He said that yes my roots had shrunk a bit, but that as long as we have at least 50% on them, and there is no bone degeneration it should not pose a really issue for me in terms of losing teeth. In order to help stablize them, get rid of my wiggly tooth, and just give them a bit more strength he decided to put a bonded retainer on the top teeth from bicupid to bicuspid. I'm so loving it! My essix is a thing of the past and it is really nice to not have to bother with it anymore.


New bonded retainer on top

Since having my surgery and expansion, things in the cheek area have been pretty fitted. With the essix I would wake up with grooves in my cheeks from biting down on them. Today was the first day I awoke with no cheek grooves. I slept like a baby, AND best of all, I can now bite into sandwiches, and brush my teeth with no pain. I love this new retainer so much better. Now yes it has a downfall. I can no longer floss freely, I have to use a threader floss and do the uppers an lowers with a mirror. It is a small price to pay for the benefits though, and my bite feels spot on now.

Other then that there is not much more to report. I'm still healing, numbness is still abating, and I'm still glad everyday that I went through all of this.

Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  • At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your teeth look AMAZING. Awesome smile. Maybe in 1 years time I'll be able to show something like this too ;)

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Hi Brandy ~
    I've had the same problem with root absorption and they say it's a trauma thing from surgery. However, they don't yet recommend a root canal. However, it sometimes hurts to bite into hard foods and hurts to brush that particular tooth. Wearing the retainer at night has helped to stabilize the tooth but do you think the bonded retainer works better. I actually see my orhto. on Friday for a recheck and I think I'm going to ask. The tooth at times feels loose and it's just annoying.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home