Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Implant Soon!



Here is a pic of what was screwed into my teeth today (minus the tooth part on top)

Today was my appointment with the dentist to get my implant fitted. So here is what happened. I got there and the dentist took what was basically a very teenie tiny screwdriver. He fit it into the implant cover and screwed it off. I then felt the area with my tongue and could feel the hole that the actual implant goes into. He then proceeded to screw in the implant screw that had the piece on it that the actual tooth is going to be built around. Once that was done he took an an xray, to make sure that the screw was completely screwed in and where it needed to be. Next came impressions...I started to have flashbacks of the orthodontists office but manage to get them under control. He filled in the area around the implant post with some special goo that was in a syringe, then filled the implant tray and pressed it on to my lower teeth. It was a bit uncomfortable when he pulled it out. Not on my implant but on my other lowers. The goo just didn't want to let go of my bonded retainer so it took some prying to get it off! He then cleaned up the mess and proceeded to take impressions of the top teeth. Once he was finished with that, he unscrewed the implant post, screwed the cover screw back on again, and freed me to go. He said my final implant should be in in about 2 weeks. At which point I will come back, they will remove the cover, screw the implant in, polish it up a bit, and it will be completely finished! I'm excited! I can't wait to be able to chew on the left hand side instead of just the right all the time. I was also very happy that I had no pain, or sensitivity in the implant, even when he screwed the cover back on pretty tightly. A couple of months ago I could feel that it was really sensitive around my implant site, I hated even touching it with my tongue or brushing it, now things feel great though so that is a plus!

I also got some great news about my front crown. The Dr. agreed with me about it being a bit mis-shaped, and a different color then the rest of my teeth. He said that all my crowns could be replaced with porcelin ones now and that he would change the color to a whole shade and a half lighter. Also he said that since it has been over 5 years since my crowns were done, they can all be replaced and will be covered by insurance. So I was very psyched about that! The plan now is, to schedule an appointment as soon as my implant is placed to have my front crown re-done first. We are then just going to plug away at them until they are all fixed! Woot Woot! I'm not excited because I hate dental work, however, I do know they will look great when they are done, and it will eliminate some of the spaces between my teeth that have come about from my braces alignment so I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and I got a call today from the Lumineer dentist. Seems my model pics have come in and they would like me to come in to see them. I have an appointment next Wednesday to do so, but will not be getting Lumineers. Especially now that I know I can get new crowns, and have them covered by insurance.

So....thats where I'm at with the oral drama these days. Things are still progressing and healing well. I can't believe that I'm almost at 11 months post op. With a year coming up soon! UNBELIEVABLE! It has gone by so fast!

7 Comments:

  • At 2:48 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    WOW Brandy, you are almost done with the whole teeth/jaw adventure! Thanks for the update on how the next step in your implant went. I go back in June to get the healing cap put on, then the impressions, then the tooth.
    Let us know how the Lumineers look! I wanted to get them too, but after hearing how expensive they are, I decided not to.

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi Brandy! im a stranger from the Philippines, im rene, and i am so amazed with your teeth, they are so beautiful... how i wish to have similar teeth as yours.
    anyway, i did comment you to ask for help somehow, im looking for sponsors for my orthognathic operation. im still having my bad experience with the people around me, keep bullying at my face. i really have lost my confidence.
    that's y idecided to have a check up with my orthodontist if i could have orthognathic operation, unluckily, it costs really alot for me since i was the one alone to pay my braces and im still having my Bachelor and Masteral degree in Computer Engineering here in the Philippines. im still a student who happend to fortunately qualified to those students who can take Masteral degree simultaneous with Bachelor's.
    going back, i hope you could help me or advice me what to do or where to go. im 20 years old now and still studying. i really need your advice...
    thank you so much...
    i hope you could email me to im_rene_26@yahoo.com
    thank thank u again
    gudlak
    God bless u

     
  • At 1:07 AM, Blogger Shontelly said…

    My goodness! That's a lot of stuff being done to your teeth!! ;) I know how it feels to only chew on one side and it sucks. I feel like the right side of my mouth needs a break. Your profile picture looks really good. Your smile is soooo beautiful. :D So bright!

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm 32 and I'm getting braces for a very bad overjet and crossbite, and as part of my treatment I will need palate expansion surgery. I'm sure my orthodonist will answer any questions I have, but I just wanted to know in straightforward terms what to expect.

    So I did some Google searches and found you. I've been reading your blog archives for a couple hours now. This is the single most informative, helpful site I've found. I couldn't believe it when I saw all the information and pictures you've posted--it's awesome! I've bookmarked your main page and several specific entries for future reference. Thank you so much for taking the time to maintain this blog and share your experiences.

    I'm getting the spacers put on this afternoon, so wish me luck.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy! I got the top of my braces off!!!!!!! They were so alien to me that I said "Holy cow they look fake!", apparently they already have heard that a few times. Wow, its weird. Now I have to wear that plastic retainer 24/7 for 1 year then only at night. Its not so bad.

    !!!!You look great!!!!!

    dc
    (I'm that crazy 48 year old woman in CT)

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Very informative Brandy! I am getting my x-rays in a few weeks to see how my implants are doing. I'm curious also what lumineers are and what's the difference between getting crowns (other than price)? By the way, you could probably publish your blog as a book! Regards, Mary

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Lisa Davidson said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home