Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Old Me/New Me

These are some pre and post SARPE/Braces Comparison pics. The first one was taken in either 1999-2000 so roughly 7 or 8 years ago (35 years old). The second picture was taken today (February 19th 2007, 42 years old.) They were so similar in the facial placement and smile that I had to post them for comparison. Considering it has been 7 years since the first one I don't think I'm aging too terribly....LOL

You can see though how my face shape has changed a bit. It is no longer heart shaped but more of an oval now. (click on pic to see larger)















I have decided to just relax about all of this surgery stuff. Whatever is meant to be will be and worrying about it, stressing about it, is not going to change anything. So, I will wait, pray, and then decide once I have all the info from my doctors. Until then I'm just going to chill and enjoy the time I have until my surgery date.

Steph brought up a point today about how much easier it is to just sorta jump into this blindly or more easily if you have not experienced it and do not know what to expect. I agree that this is true. The lower jaw surgery does not scare me, because I do not have any frame of reference to compare it to. I'm sure it will be uncomfortable, but I can't truly be afraid of it as It really is just unknown. The upper surgery though, I do. I know what it is like recovering and what the pins and needles of nerves regeneration feels like. I know the emotional ups and downs that go along with all the swelling, and not really recognizing your face for a few days, sometimes even weeks as the swelling persists. Then there is the numbness, which does gradually go away....but ever so slowly. Anyway...what I'm saying here is that sometimes ignorance really is bliss. Its good to know about what is going to happen to you, but once you have experienced the discomfort, well that part is truly pretty hard to just put out of your mind. With that being said, I know I will get through it and will survive. I know I will not regret my decision whatever it may be. I have the utmost respect for all of my online surgery buddies too! WE, all of us, are survivors.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Hey Brandy! GREAT attitude. Yes, you'll get through it and you'll do more than just survive. :) It's ultimately a good thing, for long-term benefits. You'd be so happy once all of this is over! Hang in there!

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Cary,
    I agree with you. I think the blogs have been invaluable. I have learned so much from everyone! YOu are right though....that is exactly what I need to do believe. The more I read, and see all my blog buddies getting through this and looking great, the more I feel I will be fine and can do this.

    Thanks for the support!

    Brandy

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Hey Brandy! Nice to hear that you decided to relax about the whole thing. I remember that my orthodontist told me that my worries would not impact the success of my surgery. So there really is no point to worry or to be anxious, so good for you. As for making a decision, it seems that you have already made the decision to do something about the sleap apnea issue so I would be really surprised if you decided not to go through with the whole shebang. If you are worried about a drastic facial change, I think that if yoiu look at Kelsie's photos you will agree that she looks very much like herself except better. And like I already mentioned before, I think you will really like the "reverse face lift" you will get from the surgery. As you said, you look very much as you did 7 years ago, very youthful (I always have as well) but I'll tell you that as you get into your 40's, the skin does become looser and its nice to get those few mm's back. I know that sounds vain but people do treat us differently as we age (its sad to say). The funny thing I don't feel much differently. I mean, I'm more confident, comfortable in my skin, and I don't really worry about what other people think about me, but its also nice to retain as much of our youth for as long as we can. You are a very smart and savy woman and I look forward to your continued progress with this endeavor. Someone once wrote on their blog that only those of us who have gone through this surgery find it fascinating and that is certainly true for me. Its so interesting to me to see the pictures and read people's experiences and to see their creativity and innovations of they get through this. Regards, Mary

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    I really wanted to let you know how useful your blog is to me. I am going to be having LeForte I in a few months, and it's great to hear how other people are handeling it.

    I just started a blog of my own. I put a link to yours on there. If you would prefer that I remove it, just let me know. It's just so useful for me that I want others to see it too!

    Good luck, and keep up updated!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home