Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Day 16 - Diet Woes....

So I'm just past 2 weeeks post op and I can tell you that I think this diet is going to kill me by 6 weeks. I know I have it better than most as I have been cleared for fork smash foods. The trouble is that even though I can have this stuff I can't eat very much of it as my mouth gets really sore, as does my throat, and rear palate. So I'm really not getting much into myself before I'm worn out. I think I must be really weird but I have serious feeling coming back in my palate. It is very sensitive to cold now! Drinking smoothies, or milkshakes is just about unbearable lately, so half of the stuff I was living on is now off limits due to the pain threshold! LOL...

Today I managed to get two Eggo waffles smoothered in syrup with the edges cut off into me for breakfast. I had some (about 1/2 cup) of cream of wheat for Lunch, and for dinner I had half a hotdog blended up in to mincemeat with about 1/4 a cup mashed potatoes and gravy, and a few bites of some Wendy's chili that I blended up. It sounds like a lot, but really is not. I'm still starving but can't handle the discomfort of eating more so I'm not going to. I have not officially weighed myself, but I did after 7 days and I had lost 14 pounds. I know I have lost more since then. Not good....I feel like I'm on the "Survivor" diet.


I'm so sick of blended soup I could barf, and since I can't do anything frozen the powdered protein powder I have is not getting much use. I'm sick of cream of wheat, but I eat it cause it fills me up. I try to get protein into me everyday by blending up meat in my magic bullet. It works wonderfully and I usually try and add it to stuff I'm already eating, like scrambled eggs, or mashed potoates, or soup, however, it just seems to get harder each day trying to find stuff to eat that doesn't make me want to hurl. Stuff that is filling but also good tasting.

Here are some of the foods I've tried. They are all organic and (all blended) unless they already come pureed.

Cream of wheat
yogurt
Baby Food Fruits (organic pears, peaches, pears & pineapple)
Blended hotdog
Blended deli ham (great for mixing in eggs)
Cottage cheese
Beef stew meat and vegetables
Tomatoe soup
Split Pea soup
Chicken noodle soup
Butternut squash soup
Mashed potatoes w/gravy
Smashed carrots
Blended hamburger
Spaghetti w/sauce and blended italian sausage
Penne w/pesto sauce
Blended Tilapia
Eggo waffles
Pancakes

Thats all I can think at the moment. I didn't include smoothie stuff as I'm not drinking them lately.
 
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

  • At 10:36 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    Blended tamales. Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh. And my other favorite, done in the Magic Bullet, is cooked frozen corn kernels, blended with a little butter, salt and pepper. HOO! That'll put some weight on you! And chocolate milkshakes, or semi-melted chocolate ice cream in a bath of half-n-half. SUH! How about some blended pesto pasta? I love blended food, myself. Mashed potatoes with steamed broccoli and melted cheddar cheese?
    I could open a restaurant for jaw surgery victims!

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    The part about the sensitive palate? [raises hand] Me too! It's gone now, to be replaced with sensitive lower molars. :( I hate sensitive teeth!

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Oh I still have the sensitive palate. It started about 6 weeks post-op and it's still like that at 3 months post-op. It's getting a little better though. And it's just for cold stuff. Anything cold on there and I feel it right into my sinuses.

    You're eating much like I was at 2 weeks. I starved for those first two weeks and would have given anything for the smash food diet! Once I was able to get soft foods in there, I was eating every 2 hours and was never hungry again. Chef Boyardee was really good in a pinch. I ate a lot of eggs too. Also, apple sauce and yogurt and pudding. I still love those.

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Graham said…

    You could try my SARPE standard of a can of brown beans put in the blender. Add some sugar to it so you don't gag on the tomato taste. It's like a sweet burrito! Plus it's not cold and has protein in it.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A few of my favourites were: mashed yams, couscous, rice pudding, lentil soup (lots of protein!), ice cream, refried beans, avocado, bananas, and chocolate chip cookies dunked in milk until they start falling apart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home