Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Two Weeks Post MMA

 So today marks the two week point since my face was reconstructed. Things are progressing well I think. I have good days and bad days, like most people who have had surgery I suppose. My tongue is still very tingly and numb on the tip, and around the left hand side, and my lower lip is still pretty numb on the left side, and feels puffy. These two things are really driving me nuts. I know I have to be patient but it really is hard. My tongue just sorta burns and tingles all the time. I can't taste anything with those parts of it that are numb, nor am I able to really feel anything in my mouth with it. My bottom lip constantly feels like it is freezing. I have developed this little habit of sucking on it, to help make it feel warmer, otherwise it just feels like ice. I'm thinking I'm at that point where I just wish I were back to normal, know what I mean? I keep reminding myself that my surgery was pretty major and recovery is going to take awhile, but it is hard to not want to be back to my normal energetic self.

Today I feel sorta blah....I seriously think I might be getting a sinus infection. I have started sneezing a lot lately (through my mouth only of course) and I feel very tired and cranky today. My sinuses feel like they have a lot of pressure in them and are not as clear as they normally are. My ears also feel a bit blocked. I called the OS and he wants me to come in tomorrow to see him instead of next Wednesday. So....we shall see what happens

Sleeping has improved tremendously. I have no more jaw pain and aside from the morning sinus headaches and pressure from swelling things are pretty ok. I'm sleeping about 5 hours straight, waking, then going back to sleep for about another 5 hours. I don't remember my dreams but I know I have been having them.

I will keep you posted on what the doctor says tomorrow.


Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Team Wolder said…

    Brandy,

    I am checking in on your blog everyday, I am continually impressed at your seemingly effortless recovery. Take a peek back at my progress 2 weeks post op, I looked and felt horrible. You are a rock star.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,
    I agree with Kelsie. I know at 2 weeks, I continued to hate my OS - lol, wondering what did I get myself into. You really are doing amazing! You look great. It is common to have the swelling aches and numbness 2 weeks post surgery. I ached worse when I woke up, then was fine during the day. Your rounding the corner where things will get better.
    Amy

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Thanks Ladies,
    I really appreciate the support. It's funny how even though you know what to expect, just hearing it from others who have been there is comforting. Truth of the matter is that this whole thing is very much a mental game. I mean, you can know kindof what to expect, but until your really living it it is not quite the same.

    It is nice to have all my blog buddies though, I don't know how I would've get through all of this without all of you guys!

    Brandy

     
  • At 5:02 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    Brandy, I would have to agree with Amy and Kelsie, you seem to be doing great. Granted, I haven't gone though this yet, but I really hope that I look as good as you do after two weeks. I only plan on taking 2 weeks off, so I don't want to still look like a chipmunk when I return to work. I also think that you have the right attitude... get moving and you'll feel better. It's the best pain killer. Now just to remember that for myself when the time comes. But keep us updated. I check your page EVERY day to see how you are doing. Good luck at the OS.
    ~ Tara

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    Hey Brandy, I was just wondering if there is a reason you are keeping your mouth closed in all your pictures. I'm wondering what you look like with a smile and maybe from an angle of someone else taking the picture (demanding, aren't I). Of course, you look fabulous and seem to be doing great.
    Tara, I definitely recommend taking at least 3 weeks off. Brandy is an exception, by week 2 I was still feeling very beat up.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Martha said…

    Hey, Brandy! I could relate to so many of the things you posted! My tongue isn't numb, but most of the left side of my face alongside my nose, the tip of my nose, and my upper and lower lip on the left. And, they feel like they're freezing! I keep holding my hand over that side of my face trying to warm it up. My family laughs at me because it is 100 degrees out and I've got on my sweat jacket. I started sneezing over the last couple of days, too. I hate it because I get scared I'll hurt something. I try real hard to have it come out my mouth. I've decided looks can be very decieving. I look pretty normal to most people in pictures, just like you, but there is still a whole lot of healing having to take place on the inside and it is wearing. I'm tired a lot but still struggle to sleep. It's like my body is tired, but I'm not doing enough to wear it out so it just goes to sleep. Once I get to sleep I do pretty good though. Keep your spirits up! I think because we're both normally energetic, active people, the slow recovery is frustrating, but we'll make it!

    Martha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home