Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 18 Post Op - Best Day Since Surgery!

So today is the best day I have had since having my surgery done 18 days ago. I have not had to take any pain relievers at all today, and not because I'm fighting the pain, but because I don't have any! Wooo hooo! Numbness in my lip is getting better and my tongues seems to be improving too. Now mind you this is quite amazing since I had my first ortho appointment since surgery today. Instead of being banded shut like many of you folks, I feel like we are doing things in reverse! I had no wires or bands post surgery, that, however, has changed and not for the good!
 













I went to the ortho, he took out my top archwire...see!
 








He was very pleased with the oral surgeons placement of my teeth and said that they looked great. This was a big relief for me, as I felt like things weren't really done until I got approval from both of the doctors. They all couldn't believe how little swelling I had and how great I looked. He said he had to check my chart again as he could not believe I was only 18 days post op. I told him, believe me, I had the surgery. Here are the X-rays with all my new nuts and bolts to prove it. He said I had great range of motion for so soon post op, and talked to me about this 6 week period after surgery where your teeth move twice as fast (my OS had mentioned this too saying it was ok to start my ortho work as soon as I felt comfortable and that the sooner the better as then we could take advantage of this 6 week window and probably cut down my treatment time.) The ortho wants to pull my teeth down so they fit (hug) each other a little better, and thats when things got bad.

Here is what I have to live with (as much as possible) for the next 4 weeks. It's not pretty I tell you! Not pretty at all! Thank goodness my teeth are mostly numb, otherwise I think it could be much much worse. I also thing that eating may have just gotten much worse for me, as taking these suckers off and putting them back on is not an easy task! 










My son Michael got his braces removed today! (lucky him!) His teeth look great! He got an essix retainer that he has to wear on top everyday for the next month. After one month he can go down to wearing it just at night. On the bottom they put a bonded retainer.

Here he is in the orthodontists chair right after getting them removed. 














Here he is at home...chillin with the new retainer!
 


Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Brandy, those elastics are intense! Can you even talk with them in? I haven't had any elastics at all yet in my treatment. Now I am worried...

     
  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    WOW, that's a LOT of elastics! How many are there? That must take forever to take on and off. Good luck with those. You will have to keep us updated on how they feel. But other than that, you look great! And can I just say that I'm very jealous of your son! His teeth look perfect! I wish my braces were off. Oh well, my turn will come, but I have the worst part yet to come still.
    ~ Tara

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Brandy,

    That's exactly what my elastics looked like the first week post surgery but I wasn't allowed to remove them ... though I'm not sure I would have even if I could.

    And congrats to your son ... just make sure you keep on him about wearing that retainer!

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    Brandy, your skin looks really great, what do you use? And how cute is your son!! Mary
    PS--I have to take back what I said yesterday. I realize I only lost 10 pounds after the surgery, not 15. And I've gained back a little over 5.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I discovered your blog yesterday and want to thank you for it. I'm in the process of deciding to go through the whole nine yards and I'm scared about it.
    I'm no stranger to surgery or pain but this one does freak me out.
    You look great and I'm pleased you are progressing so well.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Brandy,
    I've just compared your "before" picture with the one you took today. You really do look about 10 years younger (and you looked good before!). Congratulations on such a speedy recovery and on such great results. I can only hope for such an experience and outcome. Not long now - hang in there! Genevieve.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Genevieve,
    Wow, thanks for the compliment. I have not really noticed that, but hey, 10 years younger, I will take it. LOL..

    Mary, I think I just have good skin genes. Plus I've lived in Alaska all my life where we hardly ever see any sun. So it has been pretty protected from the harsh sunshine since I was a kid. I don't use anything amazing when it comes to products Clinique. Mostly just face wash and moisturizer, thats it. I don't wear base makeup, just eyeliner, and mascara. In the summer I will wear some loose pressed powder to keep me from getting shiny but my whole skin care routine is very quick. I'm lazy and don't like to be bothered with it.

    Ms Violetta, Glad the blog has helped you. It really hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

    Bill, OMG now I understand the whole being banded shut thing. How the heck could anyone eat like this? I didn't realize how easy I had it until I had to wear these suckers! I have new found respect for all my post surgery banded shut buddies! YOU guys are tough!

    Tara, and Ohmyjaw, there are three elastics in all. No I can't talk really. it is not much fun!

    Brandy

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    WOW-WOW-WOW!!! There is so much in this post that makes me say WOW! The bands are intense for sure, how did you ever learn the banding process, up over then down, ohh back up and over...good job. I bet when he took the archwire off you probably flossed all the way home. I think that is my biggest grief right now. I just want to floss normally, without threading or working around the RPE. Your little man looks great too...WOW WEE...does he know how jealous we are? Well, I'm glag things are improving for you and before long you will be ALL SMILES!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home