Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day 19 - Rubberband prison

So today is day 19. Hard to believe that it has almost been 3 weeks already. Guess that saying "time flies when your having fun" is true huh? LOL... Well ok, maybe not so true, but time has gone buy pretty quicky nonetheless.  
Last night was my first night in the orthodontic elastics hell. Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, probably mostl because I'm still numb. I slept sorta on and off, waking a few times due to achy jaws, but toughed it out and went back to sleep. I managed to keep them on from midnight til 10:00am this morning so for a first time I think I did ok. I took them off for about 4 hours upon waking to give my joints a rest, and then put them back on at 2:00pm.
My plan is to try and wear them from 2-6 each day and then like 10-7 whle I sleep. I think that should be sufficient and still give me a little time during the day to talk and eat. Even just wearing them last night I could feel a change in my bite this morning. I'm not going to follow this schedule when I go to Las Vegas next week though, as I'm not going to be locked shut all day long. I'm going to have a little fun for goodness sakes, I feel like I sorta deserve it after all of this.

As for everything else my bottom lip is cold today, but seems to be improving daily. My tongue seems to have good days and bad days and today is a bad day. It feels cold, and very numb on the left hand side. I wish that my tongue would just get better, out of all this, it is the one thing that I find most irritating and is the hardest to be patient with.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  • At 6:44 AM, Blogger JenNicole said…

    Brandy,
    Well with your sleep issue, my OS gave me a prescription of Elavil. Yes, for those medically inclined it is used as an anti-depressant. However, if used in small dosages, my self starting at 5 mg, it aides in sleep. I ended up taking 25 mg to actually be able to sleep through the night. The medicine helps to relax the muscles and joints so your not having tension, which is making you suffer so much. It was a tremendous help for me! Your muscles are still trying to adapt to a new bite and a new setting, so of course they will be tense. I would at least ask your OS about it. I used it after both surgeries. And just an additional FYI, Elavil used for depression is used around the 250 mg dosage. So it definetely won't be interfering with you in other ways.
    On another note you look great. I think it is wonderful how little you face has changed. I know that was one of your worries, your OS did a fabulous job of correction and maintaining the "you" we have all come to know and love! Congrats and happy healing!!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Team Wolder said…

    My surgeon prescribed Elavil 5mg for me as well, although I didn't need to use it. Could be just the solution you are looking for :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home