Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

T minus 14 days until Sinus Surgery!

I have made up my mind and decided to go through with the sinus surgery. I have my pre-op consultation on the 21st at 2:00, and the actual surgery is on the 26th. They will let me know 24 hours ahead of time (on Xmas day apparently) what time my surgery will be.

I'm trying to do a bunch of research. A guy on one of the sleep apnea boards I'm on, told me about a rather new procedure for turbinate reduction. Its called Inferior Turbinoplasty. When I watched the video of it, it reminds me of like liposuction of the turbinate. They go in from the back of the turbinate and use a special tool to remove some of it. It like sorta sucks it out. It is supposed to be better because it reduces the size of the turbinates but does not remove the surface of the turbinate which has little hairs on it and special cells that aid in sinus function. So I want to ask about that and see if that is something my surgeon does. I also want to know if any of this is going to affect the appearance or shape of my nose. Call me vain, but dang, I've had enough appearance changes with the SARPE and surgery, and I rather like my nose just the way it is. I don't want anymore changes!

So.....with that being said, I sit here purusing websites, collecting information, and mentally trying to prepare for a third surgery. One I hope will truly be useful and end my chronic sinus infections.

As for my newly debraced smile. The retainers have become much easier to get in and out. I still wish I didn't have to wear them, and my lower teeth are still very sensitive to movement, but other then that its all good.

Feeling continues to improve in my lower lip and chin area. At this point I can now feel my whole chin. It is still a bit numb under the surface on the left side but getting better daily. My lower lip continues to be tingly and get better. While it is still sortof numb below the surface on the left side, I can now lick my lower lip and feel the whole thing. So things are getting much better as a whole. I've been so busy with work and the holidays that I have sortof lost track of time. I'm at 6 months 3 weeks and 4 days now. I suppose that is a good thing, as it means that things are just sortof plugging along.

So....I will keep you all posted as things continue. I finished my last Augmentin tablet today....25 days later. I will be curious to see if my sinus infection is really gone or not. I'm thinking not since I'm still experiencing pain and pressure in my teeth, and when I bend down. But I'm being optimistic and hoping for a miracle, cross your fingers it works!

4 Comments:

  • At 3:22 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    Good luck Brandy with what hopefully will be your last surgery. I think you made a good choice. Sinus infections are the worst, and to have to have them that often and for that long just isn't right. I will be thinking of you on the 26th and hopeing all goes well. Let us know how the pre-op goes and if it will change your appearance. That's always a scary thing, and like you said, you have had enough of that already. And you look so great! Good luck and try to have a Merry Christmas!
    ~ Tara

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger Anne said…

    Hi Brandy,
    I hate that you are having to go through more surgery. Hopefully this will be the solution to your chronic sinus troubles.

    I had a turbinate reduction at the same time I had my nasal septoplasty and UP3. Honestly I didn't have any trouble with my nose postop. I don't expect that the turbinate reduction will give you too much trouble. Can't speak to the sinus surgery.

    I can tell that I am getting further and further away from my MMA date. I have been dismissed by my oral surgeon and don't have to see my orthodontist until the end of January. Things are slowing down again - sort of like the preop time just waiting for teeth to move.

    I am so glad that you are settling into your retainers. Congrats also on the returning feeling to your chin.

    Hang in there. Things are going to get better.

    Anne

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger learian said…

    Hi, Brandy,

    Nothing but good and healing thoughts to you on your next go 'round. I feel as if we're twinsies! On Tuesday, 12/18, I go in for a one stop surgery to trim my uvula, do some septoplasty, have a tooth pulled in preparation for an implant, and get a little tip plasty. I should only be in for overnight. Did you say that yours is a same day procedure?

    Best,

    learian

     
  • At 4:15 AM, Blogger Kristy Eng said…

    you really are the #1 troper there...i wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully this surgery will stop the sinus infections!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home