Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Drum Roll Please!!!! My New "Naked" Smile



First pic of my new smile!

Ok so the debracing is finish! My teeth are officially free! It wasn't too bad. I mean it was a bit uncomfortable, but nothing terrible, and it was quick so I hardly noticed. Well that is except for the band on my upper left molar. The one that has been uncomfortable the whole time I had my braces. Well of course it would not play nice and just come of easily...Nope! it required cutting, and then some yanking, and then some more cutting, and bending, and more yanking, the whole time I'm sitting there wincing in pain. It was over relatively quickly though so I guess it was ok. Once we were finished with that the doctor had to grind all the glue off my teeth. I was worried about this part but it really wasn't bad at all. I mean short of listening to the sound of the drill, it went quick, and honestly I did not feel much of anything at all. Then we took impressions on the top and bottom and my lower bonded retainer was bent and fit for positioning. Right when the ortho was going to do this he discovered a cavity on my lower canine. So...I got ended up getting an upper and lower Essix for 1 month until I can get the cavity fixed, then on my next visit they will put my bonded retainer on and get rid of the lower essix. As for my top tooth flaring I was right, but the doctor made some modifications and it is being moved in with the retainer. My teeth are screaming all over again as the retainer is rather tight, and is pulling in the back to close up my molar band spaces, and move my front tooth into proper alignment..I took several pics of the whole thing and they are in this web album

Up Close Views
I then headed to the dentist for a cleaning (I do not recommend doing this on debracing day, unless you are like me and into getting all your pain at once) My teeth were very sore and sensitive and cleaning was not very fun. When I arrived at the dentist I had to remove my retainers. I did not practice this at the ortho's office because it was sortof tough, and a bit uncomfortable getting them to snap onto my teeth. I figured getting them off would not be pleasant so I didn't do it. At the dentists office I had a really hard time getting them off. I thought I was going to have to ask for help, when they finally popped off. The hygenist didn't have to do much scraping thank goodness, and said that my teeth were amazingly clean for someone just being debraced. Said she could tell that I have been doing a really good job at keeping them clean (that made me feel good.) My dentist came in and took a look around the new mouth and said that I had a Hollywood smile now. We chatted for awhile about my surgeries and scheduled an appointment to fill my small cavity in a couple of weeks. When I was finished I went out to the car and put my retainers back on. It had not been more then 45 minutes without them. Suffice it to say that putting them back on was not enjoyable at all. My teeth were really achey and had already done a bit of migrating. I have also come to the conclusion that for the next few days, eating is going to be a challenge.
I have to take my retainers off everytime I eat, or to brush my teeth, other then that I"m supposed to wear them 24/7for the next month. I'm also not supposed to drink anything but water with them in, otherwise I risk discoloring of them, or could cause decay by trapping fluid against my teeth that could have sugar in it etc. Since it hurts to pop them back on, I don't even want to take them off to eat. I cheated and went to Fruitland and got a large Chai Tea with protein in it, then rinsed my mouth really good with water. I need to take some Advil when I get home. That may help, but at the moment, I'm just starving, but would rather be hungry then take these suckers out and and eat! HOW BAD IS THAT!











Another view of my new smile
Posted by Picasa


Me holding the bag of candy the ortho gave me
Posted by Picasa

20 Comments:

  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Shontelly said…

    AWESOME!!! HOLLYWOOD SMILE INDEED! Did you get them whitened too? They are nice and pearly. :D CONGRATS TO YOU! WOO HOO!! I'm very happy for you ..in case you couldn't tell. ;D Your smile has come a long way and they are amazing. I bet you can't stop smiling.

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Shontelly said…

    .. I think I just shed a tear .. HAHA

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    Congratulations Brandy! You look awesome!
    One day that will be me!
    I hope you'll still check in on your blog buddies :)

    ~Leah

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    WOW, look at that smile. Hollywood smile is right. And Million Dollar Smile too!!! I just can't get over how great you look! I agree with Shontelle, they look so nice and white. I'm afraid mine will be all stained when I get the braces off and then I will be disappointed. But I love my coffee and tea! Ok, off to look at your picture album now. I'm still in amazement at how great you look!
    ~ Tara

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brandy,
    Wow! Great smile without the grill! I am officially and totally jealous of you and Shelby. Yet at the same time, you ladies remind me that in a few short months I will be in your position.

    I love your retainers! I know you are sore from having the braces removed but how cool not to have those older model retainers. I didn't know about this type of retainer.

    At present I am just looking forward to Dec. 11th when I can have my surgical hooks removed from my wires. Those little boogers are mean!

    I am really happy for you. I am so glad that you are reaching the end of your long apnea journey. Now you can get on with the rest of your life. Enjoy!

    Peace Brandy,
    Anne

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow that is so awesome brandy!!!! thank you for posting entries about your experience. truly appreciate it.

    you look great!

    -sue

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, you look absolutely fantastic!! I feel emotional for you too. The journey has been a long one and you've stuck with it and single-mindedly seen it through. Many, many congratulations! It has all been so worth it!

    How does your son feel about his Mom finally being out of braces too? Did you have a debracing party together?

    Genevieve.

     
  • At 4:18 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 4:21 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Congratulations on such a beautiful outcome! Thanks for the detailed info - it'll come in handy next week when I join you, Stephanie, and Kristen in the "Brace-free" club.

    Guess I'll stock up on Safeway Signature Soups and plenty of water for the first week or so.

    -Bill

     
  • At 4:30 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    WOW, WOW, WOW! And look at that bite!

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger c.crazy said…

    You look absolutely beautiful. What a smile!!!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Lars said…

    you look great!!!! so happy for you!

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fantastic!!! Perfecto!

    What a brilliant outcome.

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Kristy Eng said…

    wow u look incredible...such a great smile, and man are those pearlies white. Im so jealous of you, but you deserve this after all you have been through.....way to go and keep on smilin. Dont forget to update us and check in occasionally still!

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger laura said…

    Congratulations!!!! You look awesome. Wow, this is reminding me how happy I'll be when mine come off. Oh to have unbraced teeth again.

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    Way to go Brandy, your smile looks f-f-f-antastic! Keep us posted on your retainerland adventures!

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger V said…

    Oh my god Brandy you look incredible! Can't even imagine the day I get to join you! I heard they feel really small when you take them off first, bet you haven't stopped running your tongue over them!

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    DITTO..DITTO..DITTO.
    Way 2 FAB!!!

    You look awesome!

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Brandy you look WONDERFUL! Such a warm smile!!

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger chris k said…

    Congrats Brandy! You look great! Check in on us every once in awhile ok?

    Best

     

Post a Comment

<< Home