Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Sinus Issues??

So Anne asked how things were going with my sinus infection. Suffice it to say that we are still fighting it. As of today I just completed 10 days of Augmentin 875mg, and was perscribed 10 more days of it, since things are only very marginally improved. My cough is better, and seems to be almost gone but I still have yellow junk coming out of my sinuses (thats when I can get it to come out) I was told to take Sudafed every 12 hours, which I did for 5 days, until the side effects started making it impossible. I couldn't sleep at all at night, I was waking every hour on the hour, and having terrible night sweating (waking up just drenched, it was so gross) on the fifth day I broke out in hives. Since I have never had an issue with antibiotics I knew it had to be the Sudafed. So I stopped taking it. Did you know that it can take up to 16 hours for Sudafed to leave your system once you stop taking it? Anyway...after a day of waiting I finally got some sleep, with no sweating, and no hives.

The plan now is to see my ENT in two weeks once my braces come off. Something is not right with my sinuses, most especially my right side. I'm feeling a little bummed out today as it seems like I'm going to have to pursue more medical issues with my sinuses now, when I was so hoping I was done with all of this stuff awhile. I will keep you all posted though should anything change. :(

Maybe the 10 more days of Augmentin will kick things...keep you fingers crossed!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, you've been a lot!!
    Have you tried acupuncture? I came back from a trip abroad with terrible sinuses and cough. I went three times to acupuncture and it helped clear it up. After a while, antibiotics just don't work anymore. Especially if you've been taking a lot of them.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    I am glad that you are at least a little better.

    One thought - the Sudafed can dry you out, making your sinus secretions thicker therefore harder to move out. Seems to me that you need something to thin them out so that you would have a better chance of getting it out of your head! guanefisin might be just what you need - nothing with pseudoephedrine. Also don't discount the benefit of a good humidifier.

    Just a thought, hope it helps.
    Anne

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    Oh man Brandy. You just can't catch a break with these sinuses. Hopefully the ENT will be able to help you out, and it just be a quick fix instead of a LONG process. You are finally able to sleep now, and you can't because your sinuses are keeping you up. You deserve your good sleep. You waited long enough and went though enough to get it.

    But on a happier note... you will be brace free soon!!! I bet you are SOOO excited. I am SOOO excited for you. Can't wait to see that smile when they come off. It will be even prettier (if that's possible).

    Keep us updated, and I hope that you start feeling better.

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    I'll keep my fingers crossed. Can you do the same for me? Yesterday I was diagnosed with my first sinus infection post op. Boy, does it really take everything out of you. I am exhausted! Last year I had really good luck with Bactrim. So she prescribed two courses of it, so hopefully it will knock it right out of my system.
    I'm worried I am headed down the same path as you. I told her I was disappointed, I had hoped the surgery would have made a difference. She tells me some people are just prone to getting them. Hmmm, lucky us!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Brandy,

    Seattle Bill here ...

    So, be patient with the abx. I think things will work out. No need to rush procedures either. You've been through enough.

    Now...here's an invite to the Bay Area next year. Take a peek at the meeting forum.

    Bill

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Thanks Bill, I will do my best to be patient. Not really one of my virtures though LOL ;)

    Tara,
    Thanks for the well wishes. Yes only 9 more days til my braces come off! Can't believe it is so close! I can't wait!

    Michelle,
    You poor thing! Trust me when I say I feel your pain! I hope yours goes quickly, doesn't mean you headed down the same path as I. I had trouble(a lot of trouble) prior to even beginning this whole journey. Yours might just be due to your sinuses being upset from the SARPE. I got a sinus infection post SARPE at right about 4 months. It took awhile to get rid of, but then I didn't have any others til now. You will probably be fine. Try not to worry about it just yet. I will keep my fingers crossed for you for sure though!

    Brandy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home