Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Super Chompers!

Just wanted to post that my eating issues are starting to resolve themselves. I can now chew most things including nuts, carrots, and apples. I do have to manuever stuff around a bit still as I find that I haven't quite figured out how to handle all this space in my mouth yet. I mean, after 41 years of having the same mouth and eating with it, the changes that have taken place in the last 18 months have not been completely embraced by my brain. I bite things the way that I used to, and have to remind myself that I need to start over and take smaller bites. I still do a lot of pulling things apart with my fingers and eating them, as it is easier to gauge the size of my bites if I'm visually seeing them before putting them in my mouth. I haven't quite mastered biting stuff off with my teeth and keeping the size down. I think it will take some time to get used to things again. To retrain my mouth and my brain.

I love that I can eat raw almonds now and not have it hurt my teeth though! That is a big milestone in my opinion! So...its time for these super choppers to do some super chomping!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    It is just so cool reading about your progress. I can't believe in a few more weeks, I'll be 6 months post SARPE. Your blog was the first ones I found/read through Archwired. It has been wonderful having this as a guideline of what to expect. You are always so detailed.
    I'm glad to hear the eating is going well. My bite is a mess right now but, there is hope in my future!
    Take care!
    Michelle

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Michelle,
    Trust me I totally remember those messed up bite days. There were times when I would get so frustrated with eating because nothing seemed to meet, or things were banging together that weren't supposed to. Not good times! Like you said though....this is hope, and trust me, this too shall pass.

    Soon...you will be all done and looking at debracing. It will go by much quicker then you think.

    Glad the blog has been helpful. Sometimes I think people don't want to hear all the details, but I figure they can just skip over them if they are not interested. When I was going through my SARPE I wanted details, and had a really hard finding them. I have tried really hard to be dedicated and really cover my entire journey from beginning til end (meaning until I'm completely back to normal.) I get frustrated reading blogs sometimes as people reach a certain point and then they just stop posting. So you never really get to hear how it all turned out. I'm going to stick with it til its totally over! I want it to be the complete story!


    Hang in there! Focus on how far you have come in 6 months already! It just keeps getting better!

    Brandy

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Brandy,
    It's been a while. I can say that at 10 months post op, debraced and not thinking ortho stuff I am eating all the stuff I never thought I could - carrots, steak, nuts, etc. It does come back and what's so cool is that now when I eat those things, I bite into it and don't even think about it!
    Can't wait to see your braceless teeth! Do you know if you will have a bonded retainer or removable retainers? Do you have to wear them all the time or just at night? I've felt so lucky to wear mine just at night. Nothings changed and I STILL love looking at my smile to this day!
    Take care, amy

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Kristy Eng said…

    Hey Brandy, good to hear that at 5 months you are able to eat most things again, honestly it seems so far away for me at 5 weeks post op, however i read your blog and see your progress and it gives me hope, thank u!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home