Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Retainers Improving!

Well, last night was my first real challenge with the retainers. We had a semi formal xmas party to attend. Actually it was more of a cocktail party with "heavy Hors d'oeuvres" so it was next to impossible to wear my retainers, and be able to eat. Plus I was really dressed up, with very red lipstick on so it wasn't like I could run to the bathroom and take them out either. For the first time since getting them I went a full 2 hours without them. I wax pretty nervous about it, but things seem like they are really settling down in my mouth now and not moving around so much, so I figured it would be ok.

It was....I could feel things starting to migrate ever so slightly by about the end of the party, but before I left I ran to the restroom and quickly popped my retainers back in with no difficulty. I can see how people don't wear their retainers, I mean after going an hour or more, it gets easier and easier to go longer and just leave them out. It really is nice to just have your teeth be themselves without restriction, however, I'm also super paranoid about losing this amazing smile I have endured so much for, so I'm pretty careful about making sure they are on. One thing I have noticed, and I'm not sure if it is just with the Essix retainers, but my teeth feel like they get dirtier, especially behind my teeth. I brush after every meal or snack I eat as I worry about trapping food between my teeth and the retainer. Even still though I just notice that I can feel more plague or junk on them.

Anyway...I wanted to let those of you know who will be heading into retainers that the first few days are the worst, by one week things are feeling pretty good. My bite feels perfectly on when they are out, and my lower incisors are no longer sore or wiggly. Everything feels like it is settling into place. Getting the retainers in and out has become much easier and is no longer painful. They are snug, but not super tight (which is good.) Overall at this point, I'm very happy with my results and comfortable with my retainers! I rather like the Essix retainer now.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    Hi Brandy!
    Curious...How long do you have to wear the retainer for?
    ~Leah

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Not sure yet. I mean I will have to wear them forever at night. Adult teeth do not stablize like a kids do. If I have to follow the same schedule my son did it was 1 month of 24/7 wear then he was released to nights only. So I'm hoping that will be my schedule too!

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    That's not bad at all - so let's hope you can follow that same schedule :)

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Kristy Eng said…

    Do you notice the Essex retainer in your mouth at all, is it difficult to speak with it in? I remember the other retainer from way back with the metal across the front, so quite visible and hard to speak with cuz of the plastic on your roof, just wondering if the retainer you have is any more comfortable?

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Kristy,
    Yes I can feel it but not very much. The one that is giving me the most aggravation is the temporary one I'm wearing on the bottom. The lip on the bottom of it catches my tongue when I talk and it makes the tip of my tongue really sore. The top one doesn't bother me at all though, it does interfer a tiny bit though with pronouncing some words or letters. I would think it is probably less then say a Hawley as it doesn't cover the whole roof of your mouth, just the front part of your palate, just behind your front teeth.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Kristy Eng said…

    kewl thanks brandy, fingers crossed i get the essex then instead of the hawley, ill have to remember to ask my ortho when i go dec 17th

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger laura said…

    I had the same retainer as a kid. I think I wore it for one day, couldn't talk very well, hated the idea of spit sitting in there for hours, so took it off and wore it nights-only after that. The "wire across the front" one seems just as bad though.

    The retainer is the bit I'm most worried about because you can take it out! Which means I'll constantly be tempted. I wish they'd just glue the darn teeth in place and be done with it.

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger laura said…

    btw I had the glued-on one down the bottom for 10 years and had no problems with it. Except it was hard to clean under it properly. Other than that it was great because you never have to think about it.

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you know a cheap way to replace your essex retainer? Do you know if an essex or regular retainer is cheaper?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home