Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Day 76/ I Think People Don't take me Seriously with this RPE Thing in my Mouth

I have noticed that since I got my RPE in that people don't seem to take me seriously. Could it be that the lisp makes me sound like I've got some kind of disability or something? I think so.....
Our school principal is leaving us (not his own choice) and we had a tea last night to meet the candidates we are to consider for our school. I work very closely with the principal in my position so its very important that we have a good working relationship and get along well. I didn't care for any of the candidates but how the heck do you carry on a conversation with someone when you can't enunciate and you are spitting on them every few sentences. I was completely frustrated with the whole experience and made a point of telling them that I'm not normally this hard to understand. I told them I had a big appliance in my mouth that makes it hard to talk but that its coming out on Monday, so the next time I meet them things will be much better.

I have noticed what seems like mild discrimination since wearing my appliance. Certainly I have not intentionally been looking for it as I'm really not into that sort of thing. I can't lie however, and say that I haven't felt it, or noticed it to a small degree. Especially from those who don't know what is going on. Just one more reason that I'm so thrilled that this thing is coming out on Monday!

Had to read a story to a child today....one full of S's and all the Th stuff that is so hard for me to say. It was so funny listening to myself. I had to just laugh as I sounded like Elmer Fudd!

Teeth are pretty ok today.....no real complaints.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Team Wolder said…

    You mention feeling discriminated against...it's strange, but I feel like I am treated totally different just with the braces on. People treat me like I am much younger than I am, almost childlike. I also get the impression that I am not taken as seriously at work. I hope it's just all in my head, that's what I tell myself when I start feeling this way.

    Just remember, it's all for the end result :)

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Yeah I agree Kelsie to some degree. I don't notice it too much at work as I have worked there for the last 5 years and everyone knew me before braces. If anything they feel sorry for me but it hasn't really changed how they treat me. Outside of work is a totally different story. People just act differently and I feel like they sorta discount what I say, or don't take me seriously when I ask a question or discuss something. This never happened to me before I got braces! I'm fiercely independent and for a women very strong! Most of the time people are sorta intimidated by me. Since getting braces its like I'm a nobody! Very weird! I know it is not forever though so I don't really care too much what others think. It has been a surprise though.

    Brandy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home