Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Just about Surgery Ready!


So, I had my adjustment today. The appointment turned out to be a very long ordeal, (just like last time) I was there almost 2 hours. They did impressions (which totally suck over braces I might add) they are so much more difficult to get off! I thought she might just yank my whole upper palate out trying to get those things off! LOL...it really wasn't that bad, but wasn't pleasant either. Anyway, we managed to get through that, then once the molds were dry the doctor gave me the news. Seems I'm just about ready...very close....to being ready for surgery. He said the spacing and fit looks great, however, he needs to do a tiny bit more leveling. Said my left side looks great and is fitting together perfectly, however, Due to the fact that I have a bridge on the right hand side and it can't be raised up, my teeth are not touching each other quite enough and there is a bit of a space between them. The ortho pulled off 4 of my brackets this morning and repositioned them. He says he needs to pull my right uppers down just a bit more so they meet my lowers better and that I should be ready for surgery by my next appointment (December 14th.)

He took off my powerchains on top and bottom today, put back the same giant wire on top, gave me a bigger one on the bottom, and a small bright pink powerchain running from my lower bicuspid back to my rear molar. I got to look in the mirror, and brush my teeth without the wires in. I could really see my teeth without all those powerchains and wires and was truly amazed! I think I may just end up with the Julia Roberts smile I had wanted! Woo Hoo! LOL! My teeth looked huge, and so white! It was crazy, but awesome!

I can already feel my teeth moving into there newly assigned position and so far it has not been too terrible. I asked about having the hooks inside my brackets (the ones used for the TPA removed) but the ortho says there is a 50/50 chance that he could have to put the TPA back if things start to move at all and he doesn't want to remove them just yet. So....he put some rubber thingys in the holes to make them slighly less scratchy. It helped a little bit, but not much. Oh well, guess I'm stuck with them. Looks like things are just about there though! Guess that will be my Christmas present.....having my teeth ready for surgery! I'm so excited!

Here are a few pics that really show the changes/difference in my face since SARPE. If you look closely you can see my face looks more fuller/heart shaped as opposed to oval. The apples of my cheeks are larger and more rounded, my smile is wider, and my eyes look more open and bright. Can you see the difference?

9 Comments:

  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Brandy, just had to leave a comment, stumbled across your blog from the Archwired.com website. Congrats on your treatment! I'm a 25 y/o male and I'm on the same route myself, RPE and such. Already have the braces and Pallate Expander. Got my own surgery (coricotomy) coming up on Tuesday Nov. 7th. I see you're in Alaska according to your profile, as am I, Anchorage in fact. How about that snow over the week, eh? lol! Anyway, keep up the great work and please keep us posted on the surgery outcome! Who's doing your work if you don't mind me asking?

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    HEy Steve,
    My orthodontist is Dr. Dekay in Eagle River (when I started this I was living out there) I'm now in Anchorage also though. My oral surgeon is Dr. Edwards. He is amazing! really really good, and comes highly recommended by the dental community. He did an outstanding job on my SARPE and is the one who will be performing my lower jaw advancement also. He has done 2 friends of mine also (lower jaw advancments)and they absolutely love him too! Good luck on your upcoming surgery! You will not regret it!

    Brandy

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Graham said…

    Oh for sure! I can definitely see a difference. I really notice how much less pointy your arch is and even how your bottom lip rests across your teeth too.
    Glad to see you're doing so well, the result is going to be pretty amazing.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Wow you have already had quite an ordeal. I admire your commitment to seeing your project through completion. You would be surprised how many people asked me why -- at my age -- am I going through this. So I'm glad there are people like you out there, very inspiring. Not that you aren't cute now, but I can't wait to see what you will look like once you have the surgery.
    M

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Yeah, I think people think if you do this as an adult that it is strictly due to vanity, that there couldn't possibly be a medical reason why one would pursue orthodontics and jaw surgery. I can't wait to see what my results are after the surgery either! Although, my dentist says the changes for me probably won't be huge since I don't have a huge amount of advancement to be done.

    Brandy

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    You look great! I do see the difference in your teeth--definitely for the better. Good for you! Your face has changed shape, and your teeth just have that well-cared-for look. People can claim we're vain all they want. If they're not going through the same thing, or they're too chicken to do it, then I don't want to hear from them, anyway. Hmmph.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Brandi, just dropping a follow-up for other Surgery potentials. I just had my SARPE performed on Tuesday (11/7/06) and am now at day 2 in post-recovery. I have to say, it was NO WHERE near as bad as it's hyped up to be, you weren't joking, I really have no regrets! Dr. Fredrick Reinbold here in Anchorage performed the surgery and did it with some very skilled hands and staff members. Dr. Mike Korupp is my ortho and is the one whom recommended Dr. Reinbold. The pain factor has been minimal if existent, though the swelling is a bit much to look at (it's only day 2), lol! I'm finally excited as everything is downhill from here in my journey to acheiving straight teeth. But I just wanted to say to thank you for the support and if anyone else is hesitant to persue surgical assistance to fix their occlusion, listen to Brandy and don't be! It's not that bad and the results are completely worth it! The numbness has almost completely subsided! I wish all that pursue this path the utmost luck and success with their treatment, you won't regret it.

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the update! I'm so glad you are doing well and that you are happy with your results thus far. I agree that it really is not that big of a deal, I'm hoping my jaw surgery goes as easy and well as my SARPE did.

    It will be interesting to follow your progress as well. Keep me posted ok???

    Brandy

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    hey brandy! I'm just about ready for my next surgery too. In fact, it's scheduled for February 6th... dun dun dun! Looking at kelsie's progress, I'm a little apprehensive. She says she still has swelling in week 8 (although you can't tell it on her at all, she's so tiny!) With the SARPE I had swelling for about a month. I'm hoping it will be about the same for the lower jaw repositioning. Not looking forward to having my mouth rubberbanded shut either. Jeez, things we go through to stop having head aches and to bite our food in a normal fashion..lol.. anyway, just wondering if you surgery was scheduled! Have a great night!
    Mandy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home