Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Orthodontist in Agreement

So I emailed my ortho today (like I said I was going to do) asking him if he had had a chance to talk to my OS yet regarding the new treatment plan. I asked him if he had not if he could give him a call so we could keep the ball rolling. I would then be able to get the paperwork finalized for the second round of insurance pre-approval. I got his reply back this afternoon:

Brandy,
I have talked to Dr. Edwards and he told me his plans. I am
actually glad because I was concerned that the advancement wasn't big
enough to change the sleep apnea. From my point of view, the surgery
doesn't matter. Once the arches are coordinated, the surgeon puts
them together so they match. If you have any questions, don't
hesitate to write....or call.

So, this is good news I guess right? I mean I sorta felt a little miffed with the "from my point of view" part. It made it sound like he didn't really care what the OS does to me, that his job is basically sort of done for the most part. I'm sure he did not mean it this way....it's an example of why email can be so misinterpreted. It did sound that way nonetheless though.

So....I guess I will contact my OS tomorrow and see if he has a plan worked up yet, or if he is still putting things together. I was so dying to email my ortho again and ask him what the OS said the plan was when he talked to him, but figured they probably did not get into measurements, but just generalities regarding whether they should just do the lower or upper and lower both.

I was reading a post on the MMA board regarding the usual advancement of the maxilla for sleep apnea correction. Someone said the usual distance is about 10mm. That seems like so much to me! That would mean my lower jaw would be advanced 14mm to catch up. That is too much I think! But hey.....what do I know??? I'm just guessing at this point, which I probably
need to just STOP doing! LOL.....but it did seem like a lot. :)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    Well, from MY point of view, I think what your OD meant was that the surgery doesn't affect his treatment plan. It's all so scientific for these guys. But he wants a good outcome, I'm sure. It'll be interesting to see what the OS says! From HIS point of view, the surgery matters a lot! :)
    And then, the OD will take over from there, and his point of view will be a focus for him once again.

     
  • At 5:39 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    Hey Brandy, who not write your ortho back and ask him to clarify the point. Sounds like he thinks the new plan is a good idea. And when he says "from my point of view" he may just mean from an orthodontist point of few in terms of how he has to move to teeth since you wanted "to keep the ball rolling." So he may have meant no negative impact in terms of what he plans to do ortho-wise. As for movements, I would definitely ask your OS how far he intends to move you so you. And what about your dentist, does he care where your bite ends up? Mary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home