Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Second Surgery Pre-op / 7 months Post Op (first surgery)

Tomorrow will be 7 months post op from my jaw surgeries. Hard to believe its already been that long! My sinus surgery will be two days short of 7 months exactly, and all I know is that it is entirely too close to my other one!

Today I had my pre-op appointment for my sinus surgery. Can I say having gone through all of this a few months back, I was a little disappointed with the way things were run at my ENT's office. First I thought my pre-op was going to be with my actual ENT, instead it was with his LNP and a nurse. Things just felt sorta rushed, and not very organized. Basically it was the same drill as before. They needed a copy of my EKG, I have to have blood work done on Monday to be sure I'm not pregnant. My surgery is at 9:30am and the whole thing, from the time I get there til I go home is supposed to take about 3-4 hours. He said the whole surgical procedure for the doctor will probably take about 30 minutes, but the rest of the time will involve being knocked out, and then the waking up in recovery part. Can you say YUCK!

So here is the plan....the doctor will be super cleaning my right maxillary sinus, then increasing the width of the drainage hole. In order to prevent the hole from healing over they will insert something called a gel sheet or something like that that will hold things open long enough for the skin to heal around it and not close up the hole. Then they will move onto my turbinates. They will be doing the procedure I mentioned before where they will be going in from behind the turbinate and sucking stuff out, then pressing it down to flatten it out. He said I will basically be wearing small tampons in my nose for 2 days and that people pretty much hate it. Also that I will not be able to breath out of my nose for those two days....swell! I go back in on Friday the 28th to have the packing taken out, and then go back 7 days later to have the gel sheet removed. Hopefully after this my sinuses will be amazingly transformed and much much better.

Now...I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking. Perhaps I was just in denial about all of this, as going into surgery again so soon after the last one is so not what I really want to be doing, especially the day after Xmas. Anyway....I know the doctor told me I would be under anesthesia but it didn't really sink in until today. As he explained that I would be knocked out, with a breathing tube down my throat, and an I.V in my arm again I just felt sick. I think I thought this whole thing was going to be done with like I.V sedation, just a quick 2 hour thing, like my SARPE. In and out! So suffice it to say that I'm not looking forward to this, and I'm feeling a little down about it all. I mean I want it done, but DONE is the key word here. I know it is a much less invasive and minor surgery but it just feels like major surgery if I have to have anesthesia! My throat hurt so bad from that stupid breathing tube after my jaw surgery that I'm feeling really bummed about that aspect of it. I know the whole surgery will be short and over soon, but right now I'm just experiencing the normal pre-surgical nervousness and apprehension.

I will keep you all posted on how things progress! Have a Merry Xmas All!

Here is a pic with my favorite guy (my darling husband)
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    Brandy, I wish you the best of luck with hopefully the LAST surgery. I totally understand it all hitting you at once. It must be tough to know how you are going to feel, I think that makes it worst then when it's the first time and you are going in blindly. But I am sure you will do great! I mean, look at how great you did after your last surgery. And then you will be able to breath again! And no more sinus infections that last FOREVER. If I don't get a chance to write again before the big day, know that I will be thinking of you and sending many wishes your way.

    ~ Tara

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger laura said…

    Good luck! This one is so much shorter than the jaw surgery so I bet the breathing tube won't hurt as much as last time. Just keep thinking how it'll all be over and fixed soon. You'll be so glad you did it.

    I'll be thinking of you on Boxing Day. Hang in there!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home