Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

POP! Not a good sound in your mouth!

Well I had my first bracket casualty today. My left canine bracket broke. It didn't come off my tooth, but the gate that closes my bracket literally broke off. I felt that my canine was very sharp so I grabbed a mirror. The top portion of the bracket was turned to the left and just bascially hanging there. I at first thought the gate had just opened and was going to try and use my dental pic tool to close it but when I tried, the whole piece just came right off! :(

It stinks because now I will have to go back to my ortho on Monday to get it fixed. That means missing some work and quite a drive to get out there. My next appointment is scheduled for Sept 14th. I'm hoping they will just have me come in early, replace the bracket, and put in my new archwires so I don't have to go back out there again in 2 weeks.

My Teeth are still gradually straightening out, and my arches are looking great! I have not noticed any relapse since my ortho removed the TPA, but then I haven't done any measuring either so it may have gotten smaller for all I know. My bite does feel much more comfortable now, not so off, which leads me to think it may have moved in slightly. Since that is what the ortho wants I suppose that is a good thing. In my pics it appears like my smile is not quite so wide now either. I still have the spaces between my lower incisors and they appear to have not moved at all since my previous appointment. The powerchain is just not moving them.
3 months post op
Todays smile

Lower Arch
Upper Arch

As for feeling in my teeth that is also a negative. I still do not have full feeling back in my upper teeth. It seems to gradually improve each day, but is still not back to normal. I still can feel my left incisor up into my sinuses. Like when my nose gets stuffy on that side, it is like it goes into, or sorta settles in that area. Its weird. I'm going to ask my ortho if we can take an xray to see if it has fully healed through that area cause it really doesn't feel like it. I would just like to know that it has, and if what I'm feeling is just the nerve pathways re-establishing themselves. I'm only days away from being 6 months post SARPE, and honestly I'm rather bothered by the fact that I do not have full feeling back in my mouth yet. I know it will continue to improve but it is just very frustrating waiting for it to happen.

Well other than this I don't have much else to report. I will post an update once I get this bracket issue repaired.


  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    DANG I hate when that happens!

  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Yeah.....hopefully it won't happen too many more times! LOL...


  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    What a bummer to have that happen. For the trouble of coming in maybe your OD will just give you an adjustment :) (thinking positive for ya).

    Your smile looks great by the way! Don't stress out too much about not having total feeling. I found out it can take even up to a year. I know what you mean though, I don't think mine ever came fully back. Good luck on the new school year.



Post a Comment

<< Home