Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

What a Difference a Day Makes!

So my surgery yesterday went off without a hitch and was pretty much the same as my jaw surgery, in terms of prep. I got to the lab and had blood drawn (it was late due to the holiday) so the put a stat order on it to get it to the doctor. I arrived at the surgery center, changed into the fancy hospital gown, slippers, and hair bonnet. The nurse then got my I.V going (which only took two tries this time)apparently I have very rolly veins but I expected that. She had me take to big swigs of Afrin in both nostril and then they had me walk to the surgery room, which was freezing! and climb onto the bed. The nurse got a nice warm blanket for me and after getting my I'V situated, and a blood pressure cuff on the other arm, she wrapped me up tight like a little burrito. I felt like a baby being swaddled in a blanket. Next the anethesiologist put something in the I.V and I could feel my eyes getting heavy. The nurse then said "ok Brandy I'm going to put a mask on your face for few second breathe deeply" I took a couple breaths and I was out, until they woke me up in the recovery room.

I remember feeling pretty groggy upon waking and my sinuses were really burny. The nurse gave me some morphine (I think) and after a minute things were fine. It took about 1 hour to fully awake, at which point I got dressed, and they wheeled me out to the car. That was about it. I came home, got something to drink, and just sorta vegetated around the house for the rest of the day.

Ok so here I am in all my post surgery glory AGAIN! (please ignore the popcorn stuck in my teeth..oops)Day two is so much better, and this surgery is certainly no comparison to the jaw surgery at all. As you can see I have no bruising or real swelling to speak of. I feel like a surgery veteran now, as the only really bad thing about this so far is the not being able to breath out of my nose. I can tell you though, even with my nose all packed up and stuffy I can actually taste food again! It's pretty crazy!  

As you can see from this pic I have two pieces of packing stuffed up my nose that are connected together with a string (I tried to make this pic small so you could see the string, but not have to look right up my nostrils...gross) Anyway...most of the bleeding has stopped today, and what is leaking out I think is coming from the packing. The nasal tampons get taken out tomorrow but already feel like if I gently tugged the string they would come right out. Sleeping last night was rough, I was awake about every 1/2 hour or 15 minutes having to drink water due to my throat getting so dry. Breathing through only your mouth sucks and gave me new found appreciation for my jaw surgery friends that must deal with that! I did manage to get about 8-10 hours of broken sleep though and short of being stuffed up today feel pretty normal. No pain at all! I even went and did some shopping today!

Posted by Picasa


  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger laura said…

    Congratulations!!! You look great. Except for those nose tampons ... o.O

  • At 10:26 AM, Anonymous PJ said…

    I just finished Lefort 1 surgery. Wow, I am starving.....! PJ


Post a Comment

<< Home