Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Day 27/ Scrape, Grind and Clench...in that order!

Today was interesting, I wore my new appliance band-aid all day. I ate with it and drank with it and it worked great. I did find that if I ate hard food they tended to get up underneath the band-aid and I would have to take it off and replace it. When I ate soft foods like yogurt, applesauce, pudding, etc it was fine. I only had to change it once after lunch and that was it. Definitely need to use the large size though as the smalls are just too small!

I have found that for whatever reason I'm really clenching and grinding my teeth at night. I'm sure it has something to do with all the changes taking place in my mouth right now, but today I was very sore from it. My jaw joints just ached, I had a headache all day that wouldn't go away, my sinuses were puffy and tender,and I actually felt achey all acrossed my palate bones. I took some Motrin to help ease the discomfort but it really didn't do a whole lot. My jaw just feels really tired today, like it has been getting a real workout. Not sure what to do about it, but I have to take my son in on the 13th for his first adjustment and I think I'm going to ask my ortho while I'm there if there is anything I can do. Last time he gave me a very low dose of Amytriptyline (its an antidepressant) and said that it derails the grinding process. I'm not much on taking meds but did try it. It seemed to help with the grinding but made me feel really groggy in the morning. I may try one tonight though just to give my poor jaw muscles a break. Maybe it will derail this tongue reflex that makes me have to push on my appliance also! That would truly be a godsend! If I'm not scraping my tongue on the appliance, I'm grinding or clenching my teeth. What is wrong with this picture???

Other than running to the store to buy 2 boxes of blister band-aides, that was about it for today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home