Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Day 45/ SARPE 6 Weeks Post Op/ Powerchains Still the DEVIL!

Today is officially 6 weeks post op SARPE. I'm feeling good but still not back to normal. Not in my mouth anyway. I'm still mostly numb, and while some of the feeling is now starting to come back there is still quite a bit left that has not yet returned.

My gap has been gradually closing, but it is slow. I was lucky and only had a 3.5mm gap at the end of expansion. It has been almost 4 weeks and I still have about 1mm left to close. I decided today to try and put the power chain the ortho gave me before back on and see if I could close what was left. I lasted a couple of hours with it on before I could not stand the pain anymore and took it off. So....powerchains are still (in my humble opinion) the DEVIL. I will just leave my gap to its own devices and let it continue to close on its own. I don't know if this is the case for everyone who gets SARPE but since day one I have had a lot of pain/sensitivity in my top incisors. Mostly in my right one, but I think that is because more of the feeling has returned to this tooth. My left side is still mostly numb and thus those teeth don't seem to hurt as much or even at all. The powerchain did seem to make my gap slightly smaller though so that is good, at least I got something out of all of that torture.

Here is a pic I took last night, and one this afternoon after wearing the powerchain for a little while. As you can see.....It's getting there!







I'm sure others are looking at this and saying, I wish my gap was that small! However, as everyone who has had a SARPE knows the gap/diastema is the worst part. Those who have them can't wait for them to go away. I was lucky mine stayed pretty small, but nonetheless I still want my teeth to be back to normal and meet again in front like they used to. Since this is my blog.....I can complain about it as much as I want to. :)

I may try and wear the Devil Chain to bed when I sleep tonight. If I do I will let you know how it goes.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said…

    Hey Amy,
    Yeah, I definitely think that the nerves are regenerating at this point. I have noticed in the last couple of days that I can actually sorta feel the food on my back teeth and taste it better also (again this is mostly on the right side.) The explanation of your teeth feeling like wood is a good one. That is still how most of my teeth on the left feel and pretty much what it has been like chewing for the past 6 weeks. Feeling is definitely coming back though....I have noticed compared to others that a lot of my surgery has been less dramatic. It was less invasive, and I think that the trauma (due to my great surgeon) has been less than others. Perhaps that is why I'm starting to get feeling back sooner.

    As for the expander yeah things are getting better. I mean I still hate it, but it is not rubbing my tongue so raw like it was before, and my bite has changed a bit so its sitting in my mouth more comfortably. Eating is still a chore, but I'm eating a bit more now as I just ignore the aggravation. Only 4 more weeks and this sucker comes out! I CAN DO THIS! LOL...

    Thanks for checking in with me!

    Brandy

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    Holy moly! Seems like just 2 hours of the devil-chain almost closed the gap! You should totally try it again as long as you can stand it, I think your gap will be history! Woohoo!

    Have you had a sharp, shooting pains in your front teeth? I have, especially at night for some reason. Thankfully they are quick though.

    I think maybe some of my numbness is going away, or at least changing a bit. I think I am now starting to get some feeling back in my upper lip, but just a little. The fidelity is still very low.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home