Brandy's Braces, SARPE, Jaw Surgery Journal

This is my daily journal to my eventual perfect smile and Apnea free life. It logs my surgeries, and daily progress.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Holy Snot Batman!

Man...what a busy day I have had. Just when I think the fun can't end, I get to experience more of it! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

So my day started with getting up early and driving to the orthodontists office. Today was the day for my lower bonded retainer to be put on (since I had that little cavity filled yesterday.) It was really not a big deal, except for the fact that I got a serious tickle in my throat while the ortho was working on bonding it in. Do you know how hard it is to fight off a cough when your throat decides it is going to cough? Anyway...the process involved some nasty tasting prep base. It was very sour/bitter like the stuff the used with my brackets. They then rinsed that off and my ortho tied my lowers all together with dental floss. I'm assuming that was to help keep everything in place and help hold the retainer wire while he cements it. Next he used a little syringe to squeeze some yellow looking goo onto the back of one tooth. He moved it around a bit with one of his little tools and then used the ultra-violet light to harden the glue. He did this tooth by tooth for all 6 of my lower incisors and canines. When he finished he rinsed everything out and cut the dental floss off of my teeth. The assistant then came and showed me how to floss with my new permanent retainer (gone are the days of 2 second flossing, that I had this last month.) Basically you floss with it by going underneath the wire with threader floss and floss that small area below it. Here is the result of all of his efforts, and may I just add that I love this thing! For the first time my lower teeth do not feel wiggly. They feel secure and comfortable instead of sore and achey!
Posted by Picasa


I no sooner finished this appointment and I had to head to see the ENT for my post sinus surgery follow up! Oooh my goodness! What a weird experience this was. Now mind you I have been rather lax and bad with this surgery. I was so stuffed up I was gently blowing as soon as they took the packing out. On Tuesday I sneezed (accidently) through my nose which is a big no no! That afternoon a nasty clot came out but then things seemed ok. Yesterday a piece of the gel stent came out, and things were not feeling very good. Today..I woke up really congested and have had blood running down my throat all day so I thought for sure I must have messed something up.

I arrive at the ENT's office. The nurse takes me in, hands me three Kleenex and asks me "so are you ready for a little torture?" as she is messing around with some tools she turns on a machine that sounds like an air compressor! Mind you I want my sinuses fixed, but I was not prepared for lots of pain today...little lone torture! She then asks me if I'm allergic to "lidocaine or afrin?" I say no and she says oh good! She stands there with this thing hooked up to the air compressor that looks like a giant exploration tool, with a rubber tip on the end. She starts on the left side and tells me to take a big sniff! Instantly I get a sinus full of lidocaine and afrin. Anyone who has had surgery can tell you that Afrin tastes terrible in large doses, when you mix it with lidocaine it is even worse...so of course I'm gagging like crazy as it runs down the back of my throat. Guess what??? the fun isn't over, she still has to do the right side now! So...I lived through that part, and soon, actually like almost instantly I feel my throat start to get numb as well as the insides of my sinuses.

Next the doctor comes on. He shakes my hand, asks me how I'm doing etc. I tell him that I think the gel stent came out, and that I have been having big clotty drainage down my throat all day. So....guess what he does? He tells me that he is probably going to fix most of that for me today. He comes at me with a miniture version of a dental sucker thingy (sorry I don't have the exact name for those things but I'm sure you get my drift) a set of like long tweezers, and a flashlight. He enters my right sinus and I feel the syringe enter my maxiallary sinus area. He stops a couple of times because the bloodclots are clogging the sucker thing up and it won't suck anymore. So he takes it out and he gets a BIGGER ONE! Are you feeling the fun yet??? Then it's back into my sinuses, this time he pulls some discusting glob out of my nose....so totally discusting I'm thinking "why in the heck would anyone want to be an ENT???? while at the same time wondering how in the heck something that big could be up my nose! He continues to suck away, and then again reaches into my sinuses and comes out with another even bigger, giant glob of something. Is it packing? just a snot glob? At this point I'm thinking holy snot Batman...my sinuses must be like the freaking grand canyon! Then he continues more suction until I swear I feel like he is sucking my teeth up through that sucker thing. Then he switches sides and does some more sucking on the left. None of this was particularly painful, other then when he pulled that giant whatever out. That part kindof hurt and my sinuses were pretty burny and raw feeling afterwards. It was just the most bizarre feeling ever to have someone sucking around inside my face though...and while I was awake! It just can't be described!

When he was done he said that things looked great and I just need to give things a bit of time to heal, but that he thinks this will help me a lot." (phew no damage from blowing) Also, he said " I sucked a ton of junk out of there....your whole right maxillary sinus was filled with gunk, I suspects now that most of it is out that you will probably be feeling much better by later this afternoon. Wow! Thanks! I think! Hopefully it won't just be temporary until the Afrin wears off, or just fill up again over the next two weeks.

Overall the whole experience was rather draining (no pun intended, well ok maybe a little one) and I'm just so thrilled to have lived through it! (one more thing I can add to my list) I go back on the 17th for another follow up and possibly some more suction action! I got the go ahead to workout again today, so I'm going to go back to the gym starting tonight. I think I will take a little nap first though....all this nasal irrigation seems to have sucked the life out of me (boy I'm just full of puns today) he he! I will keep you posted on the progress!

11 Comments:

  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Kristy Eng said…

    wow such details, lol. and i agree with you, i don't know how anyone can be in the medical field, GROSS! I'm glad you got that over and done with, sounds like you are prepared for anything. The teeth are lookin great...i Cant wait to be de-braced like you, its nice to see some final results eh! I think we should elect you as the new surgery/braces poster girl!

     
  • At 2:57 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    How are you sinuses feeling today? What a workout they got after that visit. Hopefully this surgery will take care of them for you. Sinus infections are the worst. I can't imagine having one for that long, and that often. You're looking great!
    ~ Tara

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Ok, so I've been following your blog for a while now ever since I stumbled upon it while researching SARPE. My husband had surgery for a deviated septum and turbinate reduction back in August and had an awful experience. He ended up hemorrhaging, going back for a second emergency surgery, and dealing with two serious infections. I didn't post any of this before because I didn't want to discourage you. BUT, while reading your description of the recovery, I almost laughed because it's exactly what my husband went through (with all the suctioning and HUGE globs of nastiness). It's amazing what they pull out of there, isn't it? I'm so glad your surgery went well and I hope you see big improvements!

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Shontelly said…

    Your one tough chic Brandy!! I was cringing the whole time! YUCK! but isn't it great that it's all over. Your going to have a normal feeling face one of these days! ;)

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said…

    Oh, my God, I think I may need to pass out.
    Holy crap. That sounds so painful and scary. You are a total badass.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Hillarious! (I hope I was supposed to laugh!) Your resiliance continues to amaze me, girl! I can't believe how great you look so soon after your surgery. By the way, do you have a neddy pot? That may help keep your sinuses clear from now on. Dr. Oz approves. M

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger laura said…

    OMG I was nearly puking just reading about it. So glad I'm not a doctor. I guess you'd learn to find it satisfying to suck all that stuff out of there.

    I read on a few blogs that some people had nose suction done after their maxillary surgery as well.

    Ugh. Trying not to think about it.

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Graham said…

    I'm just getting caught up on some blogs and holy crap you've been through more than your share of torture! You're definitely a trooper Brandy! You deserve some sort of prize to say the least!

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    Hi chick,

    I love the idea of the bonded retainer. My lower incisors have been so loose and sore - I wonder if this will be an option for me if my teeth don't tighten back up after braces removal. Too far into the future to speculate I guess.

    The sinus thing sounds miserable. I hope that he doesn't have to repeat the process when you go back for a followup.

    You look great! I hope that you are at the end of this longer-than-it-should-have-been process.

    Hang in there!
    Anne

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Oh LOL, you had me squirming on that story. Loved the SNOT GLOB! Never heard it put that way...well great update! Hope you are feeling better without the snot globs!

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please note that there are periodontal treatments that avoid orthognathic surgery -- such as Dr. Farnoosh's Gummy Smile treatment. See Dr. Farnoosh's Gummy Smile Treatment

     

Post a Comment

<< Home